Old 06-25-2011, 12:46 PM
justin

Default SHA256 and indention in metadata.xml

Hi all,

so I solved my signing question. With a 1024 DSA key you need to add

enable-dsa2

personal-digest-preferences SHA256

to your gpg.conf.

Another question, do we have a rule, how the metadata.xml has to be
indented? Tabs or n spaces?

thanks justin

Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 6:16 PM, justin <jlec@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Another question, do we have a rule, how the metadata.xml has to be
> indented? Tabs or n spaces?

There's no rule, but we should follow the same rule as ebuilds —
indentation should be with a tab that's displayed as 4 spaces in
editors (no expansion of tabs to spaces).

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 06-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 10:23, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 6:16 PM, justin wrote:
>> Another question, do we have a rule, how the metadata.xml has to be
>> indented? Tabs or n spaces?
>
> There's no rule, but we should follow the same rule as ebuilds —
> indentation should be with a tab that's displayed as 4 spaces in
> editors (no expansion of tabs to spaces).

meh ... let devs do whatever they want
-mike

Old 06-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 10:23, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 6:16 PM, justin wrote:
>>> Another question, do we have a rule, how the metadata.xml has to be
>>> indented? Tabs or n spaces?
>>
>> There's no rule, but we should follow the same rule as ebuilds —
>> indentation should be with a tab that's displayed as 4 spaces in
>> editors (no expansion of tabs to spaces).
>
> meh ... let devs do whatever they want

Didn't I just say there's no rule?

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 06-25-2011, 08:32 PM
"Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto"

Old 06-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Maciej Mrozowski

On Saturday 25 of June 2011 22:32:43 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> On 25-06-2011 14:23, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 6:16 PM, justin <jlec@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> Another question, do we have a rule, how the metadata.xml has to be
> >> indented? Tabs or n spaces?
> >
> > There's no rule, but we should follow the same rule as ebuilds —
> > indentation should be with a tab that's displayed as 4 spaces in
> > editors (no expansion of tabs to spaces).
>
> Talking from my own experience when doing retirement stuff, there seems
> to be two large currents on metadata.xml in the tree, using tabs and 2
> spaces for indentation.

> I personally prefer tabs, but I also like using EAPI="<version>",
> sorting everything alphabetically and even use the following depend blocks:

> *DEPEND="
> !<X-2.0
> !Y
> <A>
> <B>
> <Z>
> a? ( <X> )
> b? ( <Y> )
> c? (
> <J>
> <K>
> )
> "

^^ is actually the main point of my "ebuild formatting nazi" agenda (usually
followed by "oh why did you break formatting in my shiny ebuild!11, revert!"
chants by various developers in case I happened to touch packages of theirs).

I never understood the reason after keeping deps not sorted alphabetically
where order doesn't matter - it's like someone purposely made ebuild harder to
read - it's counter productive.

--
regards
MM

Old 06-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 8:50 PM, Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 25 of June 2011 22:32:43 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
>> *DEPEND="
>> * * * !<X-2.0
>> * * * !Y
>> * * * <A>
>> * * * <B>
>> * * * ...
>> * * * <Z>
>> * * * a? ( <X> )
>> * * * b? ( <Y> )
>> * * * c? (
>> * * * * * * * <J>
>> * * * * * * * <K>
>> * * * )
>> "
>
> ^^ is actually the main point of my "ebuild formatting nazi" agenda (usually
> followed by "oh why did you break formatting in my shiny ebuild!11, revert!"
> chants by various developers in case I happened to touch packages of theirs).
>
> I never understood the reason after keeping deps not sorted alphabetically
> where order doesn't matter - it's like someone purposely made ebuild harder to
> read - it's counter productive.

Well, the GNOME team likes to order it by "type" and "library
heirarchy". So, libraries in one paragraph, then applications. Plain-C
libraries first, followed by glib, and then glib-using libraries, and
then gtk+, and gtk+-using libraries, then Python modules, etc. We also
separate out lines with and without versions/blocks/use-conditionals
in them to make them easier to read.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 06-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 13:51, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>>
>>> There's no rule, but we should follow the same rule as ebuilds —
>>> indentation should be with a tab that's displayed as 4 spaces in
>>> editors (no expansion of tabs to spaces).
>>
>> meh ... let devs do whatever they want
>
> Didn't I just say there's no rule?

and if you keep reading, you'll see that you also said "devs should XXX"
-mike

Old 06-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 13:51, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:

>>> meh ... let devs do whatever they want
>>
>> Didn't I just say there's no rule?
>
> and if you keep reading, you'll see that you also said "devs should XXX"

should != must.

I understand that you're touchy about rules after the whole ChangeLog
mess, but must we debate the nuances of the English language and
contribute to the massive amount of pre-existing bikeshed noise on
this mailing list?

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 06-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Dale

Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:

Another question, do we have a rule, how the metadata.xml has to be
indented? Tabs or n spaces?

There's no rule, but we should follow the same rule as ebuilds —
indentation should be with a tab that's displayed as 4 spaces in
editors (no expansion of tabs to spaces).

meh ... let devs do whatever they want

Didn't I just say there's no rule?

and if you keep reading, you'll see that you also said "devs should XXX"

should != must.

I understand that you're touchy about rules after the whole ChangeLog
mess, but must we debate the nuances of the English language and
contribute to the massive amount of pre-existing bikeshed noise on
this mailing list?

I always understood shall means must. Should means on most occasions.

Dale

:-) :-)