Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy

Default dev-libs/glib-2.28.* add bash-completion use flag)

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM, <bugzilla-daemon@gentoo.org> wrote:
> --- Comment #2 from Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org> 2011-06-21 09:35:59 UTC ---
> Afaik, the bash-completion eclass adds the use flag only to make sure the user
> has bash-completion and eselect packages installed. This is imho overkill and
> it indeed meets the point that was made on the ml that installing one file that
> doesn't in itself depends on anything doesn't warrant a USE flag. Maybe the
> discussion should be brought to dev ML to make the situation clearer for
> bash-completion too.

OK let's hear from the ML. Another good thing from bash-completion
eclass is that it advertises bash-completion in pkg_postinst (though
some packages miss this). If we're OK for dev-libs/glib not to use
bash-completion use flag, what about the others, drop the use flag?

BTW while I looked over to see how bash-completion use flag is used, I
encountered some ebuilds that can use improvement. Will probably open
another QA bug for these.

- bash-completion_pkg_postinst is not called: dev-lang/R,
dev-util/schroot, dev-vcs/git, dev-vcs/subversion,
sci-visualiztion/epix, sys-apps/paludis, sys-cluster/drbd,
sys-cluster/util-vserver, sys-power/nut

- do not use dobashcompletion: app-misc/task, app-portage/udept,
app-shells/autojump

- do not use bash-completion eclass: app-pda/osynctool,
x11-wm/awesome (automatically installed?)

- die after dobashcompletion, or explicitly check for the use flag
before calling: app-portage/flaggie, dev-vcs/topgit, net-misc/aria2,
net-analyzer/linkchecker, www-apps/blazelogger
--
Duy