Old 06-22-2011, 03:16 PM
justin

Default RFC Remove USE=fortran in default profile

On 6/22/11 4:47 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 22 Juni 2011, 16:35:07 schrieb Matthew Summers:
>>
>> Hey Justin,
>>
>> One thing to note is that a few various python modules, like numpy,
>> really benefit from fortran. While many people using numpy are
>> scientists, many are not and further there are various modules that
>> depend on numpy that non-science folks use. I, for one, care little
>> about where that flag is set, since I have manually set that USE for
>> years now in make.conf. I am simply hoping to make you aware of the
>> fact that there are potential cases that could be easily overlooked.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Matt
>>

> ... and there are also typical end user software packages like digikam and kipi-plugins for photo processing, which rely e.g on opencv for face recognition, red eye removal, ...

So then,

lets make a clear decision how we should handle the fortran USE.

1. leave it as it is as global USE enabled.

2. enable it as default for gcc

3. let package maintainers fix their packages,
means depend on fortran by default where it is the best and/or needed

thanks justin

Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 PM
James Cloos

j> 1. leave [the fortran USE flag] as it is as global USE enabled.

This is the best option for the vast majority of users.

There are just too many important and useful apps which (rely on
libraries which)* include fortran code.

The few cases where it is not a benefit can add -fortran to their
/etc/make.conf or profile-specific make.defaults files.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:16:25 justin wrote:
> On 6/22/11 4:47 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch 22 Juni 2011, 16:35:07 schrieb Matthew Summers:
> >> One thing to note is that a few various python modules, like numpy,
> >> really benefit from fortran. While many people using numpy are
> >> scientists, many are not and further there are various modules that
> >> depend on numpy that non-science folks use. I, for one, care little
> >> about where that flag is set, since I have manually set that USE for
> >> years now in make.conf. I am simply hoping to make you aware of the
> >> fact that there are potential cases that could be easily overlooked.
> >
> > ... and there are also typical end user software packages like digikam
> > and kipi-plugins for photo processing, which rely e.g on opencv for face
> > recognition, red eye removal, ...
>
> So then,
>
> lets make a clear decision how we should handle the fortran USE.
>
> 1. leave it as it is as global USE enabled.
>
> 2. enable it as default for gcc
>
> 3. let package maintainers fix their packages,
> means depend on fortran by default where it is the best and/or needed

(3) needs to be done regardless of anything else. default settings doesnt
prevent people from disabling fortran on their systems and then hitting a
broken build.

if (3) is done, does it really need to be a global flag anymore ?
-mike