Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Mario Bodemann

Default Rendering the official Gentoo logo / Blender,2.04, Python 2.2

Hi folks,

Sebastian told me about the problem of not being able to render the
logo in recent blender versions. So this is were I stepped in: I tried
it and used the geometries from the old .blender file, and the
yellowish reflecting image.

Problem was to recreate the exact representation of the original logo,
by new means of rendering and relighting. I tried to solve them by
creating a new material for the g and carefully adjusting the
parameters. Also I added a new modifier for the geometry to get rid of
the ugly seam at the sharp edge. (This does not modify the geometry,
only the rendering of it)

However, here are my preliminary results:

- the modified .blend-file[1] (tested with blender 2.57b)
- new rendered logo image [2]
- original logo image (for comparison)[3]

What do you think?

Greetings, Mario.

[1]
http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=g-metal-blend.git;a=blob_plain;f=g-metal.blend;hb=master
[2]
http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=g-metal-blend.git;a=blob_plain;f=g-metal.png;hb=images
[3]
http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=g-metal-blend.git;a=blob_plain;f=g-metal-orig.png;hb=images

Old 06-12-2011, 05:14 PM
David Abbott

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Mario Bodemann <theclaw@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Sebastian told me about the problem of not being able to render the
> logo in recent blender versions. So this is were I stepped in: I tried
> it and used the geometries from the old .blender file, and the
> yellowish reflecting image.
>
> Problem was to recreate the exact representation of the original logo,
> by new means of rendering and relighting. I tried to solve them by
> creating a new material for the g and carefully adjusting the
> parameters. Also I added a new modifier for the geometry to get rid of
> the ugly seam at the sharp edge. (This does not modify the geometry,
> only the rendering of it)
>
> However, here are my preliminary results:
>
> *- the modified .blend-file[1] (tested with blender 2.57b)
> *- new rendered logo image [2]
> *- original logo image (for comparison)[3]
>
> What do you think?
>
> Greetings, Mario.
>
> [1]
> http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=g-metal-blend.git;a=blob_plain;f=g-metal.blend;hb=master
> [2]
> http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=g-metal-blend.git;a=blob_plain;f=g-metal.png;hb=images
> [3]
> http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=g-metal-blend.git;a=blob_plain;f=g-metal-orig.png;hb=images

Hi Mario,
Thanks for taking the time to do this, looks great by me.
Regards,
David
--
David Abbott (dabbott)