Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Samuli Suominen

Default RFC: Remove USE="v4l2" and rename the consumers to plain USE="v4l"?

First of all, it's disappointing how little the packages in the
linux-headers-2.6.38 tracker[1] intrest people.

[1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/359595

Planning on masking some of the low hanging fruits from the tracker.

And after the bugs are mostly (or all) dealt with, I suggest we remove
USE="v4l2" and make USE="v4l" mean:

"Enable support for video4linux (with or without userspace library libv4l)"

And rename the pkgs using USE="v4l2" to USE="v4l". Since there will be
only video4linux version 2, using libv4l or without (or possibly using
libv4l compability layer for libv4l1). But no more straight up version
1 support since videodev.h is gone since Linux 2.6.38

?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:36 AM
Duncan

Samuli Suominen posted on Tue, 17 May 2011 03:48:23 +0300 as excerpted:

> First of all, it's disappointing how little the packages in the
> linux-headers-2.6.38 tracker[1] intrest people.
>
> [1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/359595

Indeed. I finally decided to try to get the netbook's webcam running the
other day. With kernel 2.6.38's lack of v4l1, it's a serious webcam
package wasteland out there! (luvcview, hasciicam... that was about it.)
=:^(

luvcview demonstrated that it was working, tho, and it was quite apparent
I had to wait for the 2.6.38 stabilization to take care of the others
before I tried them. But /how/ long has this removal been in progress and
the apps are /still/ dependent on videodev.h? Disappointing, to say the
least. Guess dealing with it's unavoidable, now.

> Planning on masking some of the low hanging fruits from the tracker.
>
> And after the bugs are mostly (or all) dealt with, I suggest we remove
> USE="v4l2" and make USE="v4l" mean:
>
> "Enable support for video4linux (with or without userspace library
> libv4l)"
>
> And rename the pkgs using USE="v4l2" to USE="v4l". Since there will be
> only video4linux version 2, using libv4l or without (or possibly using
> libv4l compability layer for libv4l1). But no more straight up version
> 1 support since videodev.h is gone since Linux 2.6.38

++