-   -   RFC: remove annoying "You should enable -g (or higher) for debugging!" message (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/523428-rfc-remove-annoying-you-should-enable-g-higher-debugging-message.html)

Tomáš Chvátal 05-07-2011 03:04 PM

RFC: remove annoying "You should enable -g (or higher) for debugging!" message

"Paweł Hajdan, Jr." 06-03-2011 06:53 AM

On 5/7/11 5:04 PM, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Dne 7.5.2011 16:20, "PaweB Hajdan, Jr." napsal(a):
>> This is mostly a nit-like RFC. The developer profile adds a
>> profile.bashrc, which prints the "You should enable -g (or higher) for
>> debugging!" message when "-g" is not in CFLAGS.
>
>> I wonder if we can remove that file. It has been added 3 years ago:
>
>> <http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/profiles/targets/developer/profile.bashrc?view=markup>
>
>> It is not obvious from looking at emerge output what prints this
>> message, it doesn't fit well with the rest of the output, and may be
>> easy to miss:
>
>> * USE: elibc_glibc gtk kernel_linux test userland_GNU x86
>> * FEATURES: sandbox splitdebug test userpriv usersandbox
>> You should enable -g (or higher) for debugging!
>
>> I think it is not necessary for every developer to add "-g" to CFLAGS -
>> the main point is to have any symbols at all, not just
>> to-the-file-and-line-precise debugging info. If the latter is needed,
>> the developer will obviously know what to do.
>
>> What do you think about removing
>> gentoo-x86/profiles/targets/developer/profile.bashrc file?
>
> I would preffer to see there -ggdb and FEATURES=splitdebug to be honest.

FEATURES=splitdebug is already a part of the developer profile. And then
that bashrc file was added there to avoid adding -ggdb to CFLAGS
unconditionally (it increases compile/link time a *lot* for packages
like xulrunner, webkit, or chromium).

This was the only response to my e-mail, so I guess most people don't
care about the bashrc file in question. I'd still like to remove it -
was your reply a "no way" or just "I'd prefer something else"?

"Paweł Hajdan, Jr." 06-08-2011 01:37 PM

On 5/7/11 4:20 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> This is mostly a nit-like RFC. The developer profile adds a
> profile.bashrc, which prints the "You should enable -g (or higher) for
> debugging!" message when "-g" is not in CFLAGS.
>
> I wonder if we can remove that file. It has been added 3 years ago:
>
> <http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/profiles/targets/developer/profile.bashrc?view=markup>
>
> It is not obvious from looking at emerge output what prints this
> message, it doesn't fit well with the rest of the output, and may be
> easy to miss:
>
> * USE: elibc_glibc gtk kernel_linux test userland_GNU x86
> * FEATURES: sandbox splitdebug test userpriv usersandbox
> You should enable -g (or higher) for debugging!
>
> I think it is not necessary for every developer to add "-g" to CFLAGS -
> the main point is to have any symbols at all, not just
> to-the-file-and-line-precise debugging info. If the latter is needed,
> the developer will obviously know what to do.
>
> What do you think about removing
> gentoo-x86/profiles/targets/developer/profile.bashrc file?

FYI: I went ahead and committed the change. Enjoy a slightly simpler
developer profile!

"Paweł Hajdan, Jr." 06-08-2011 01:37 PM