Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

Default ACE gcc and libc dependency

On 5/3/11 5:27 PM, Kfir Lavi wrote:
> In the ebuild there is no mention of runtime dependency like gcc or glibc.

See
<http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/index.html#implicit-system-dependency>

> Why sys-devel/gcc don't have a library version without the actual compiler?

This question may be a bit hard to understand, at least for me.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Mike Gilbert

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
<phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 5/3/11 5:27 PM, Kfir Lavi wrote:
>> In the ebuild there is no mention of runtime dependency like gcc or glibc.
>
> See
> <http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/index.html#implicit-system-dependency>
>
>> Why sys-devel/gcc don't have a library version without the actual compiler?
>
> This question may be a bit hard to understand, at least for me.

Other distros package libstdc++ separately from gcc. On Gentoo, the
one package (sys-devel/gcc) provides both.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Il giorno mar, 03/05/2011 alle 17.53 +0200, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." ha
scritto:

> See
> <http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/index.html#implicit-system-dependency>

Don't know the specifics of the package, but if it's a binary package,
then glibc is not considered an implicit system dependency: you want to
explicit that uclibc/freebsd-libc and so on do not work for the package.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

Old 05-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Kfir Lavi

<phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 5/3/11 5:27 PM, Kfir Lavi wrote:

>> In the ebuild there is no mention of runtime dependency like gcc or glibc.

> See

> <http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/index.html#implicit-system-dependency>

>> Why sys-devel/gcc don't have a library version without the actual compiler?

> This question may be a bit hard to understand, at least for me.

Other distros package libstdc++ separately from gcc. On Gentoo, the

one package (sys-devel/gcc) provides both.

Maybe we should add a new USE flag that will install just the libraries. (USE="justlibs")

Kfir

Old 05-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Wed, 4 May 2011 14:09:03 +0300
Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maybe we should add a new USE flag that will install just the
> > libraries.
>
> (USE="justlibs")

Then you'd have to update nearly every package that deps upon GCC to
have a [-justlibs] dependency. Arguably not so bad for GCC, but in
general it's a huge problem, and it's the reason [client] and [server]
flags aren't popular.

(And if features like those are desired, please don't start updating
zillions of ebuilds with [-blah] flags. Ask for an EAPI feature that
lets flags in IUSE be marked as "require me this way unless something
explicitly says otherwise"...)

--
Ciaran McCreesh