Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Kfir Lavi

Default ACE gcc and libc dependency

Hi,
I'm trying to build a small system that installs just the needed libraries.
One of the programs is ACE libs.
ldd shows:
(hardend) goofy catalyst # ldd /usr/lib/libACE-6.0.1.so

******* linux-gate.so.1 =>* (0xa2782000)
******* librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xa25bd000)
******* libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xa25b9000)
******* libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.2/libstdc++.so.6 (0xa24bd000)

******* libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xa2496000)
******* libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xa2310000)
******* libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.2/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xa22f6000)
******* libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xa22dc000)

******* /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xa2783000)

In the ebuild there is no mention of runtime dependency like gcc or glibc.
COMMON_DEPEND="dev-libs/openssl"
# TODO probably more
RDEPEND="${COMMON_DEPEND}

*** X? ( x11-libs/libXt x11-libs/libXaw )"

DEPEND="${COMMON_DEPEND}
*** X? ( x11-proto/xproto )"

I have added virtual/libc sys-devel/gcc to RDEPEND, but this will install gcc.
I would like to avoid installing gcc, and would like to install just the libraries.

Is this approach correct?
Why sys-devel/gcc don't have a library version without the actual compiler?

Regards,
Kfir