Old 05-02-2011, 05:17 AM
Ulrich Mueller

Default Devmanual text on ChangeLogs

> I don't get why someone would want to edit ChangeLogs. Could you
> list some use-cases besides editing of typos?

Fixing typos should be enough reason alone. It also happened to me
more than once that I specified a wrong bug number, or that I added
credits for a user retroactively.

Ulrich

Old 05-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 01-05-2011 19:43:48 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> My personal feeling is that we should keep the changelogs as-is, and
> include removals, until we're on git. Then we should re-evaluate.

git doesn't magically solve all the problems!

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 02-05-2011 02:04:57 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> > Having the servers do that, will also allow us to provide cut down
> > Changelogs ( lets say keep that last 10 entries ) so we can provide
> > a more minimal portage tree, size wise.
>
> Ten is way too small. Chances are that after one round of
> stabilisations the ChangeLog entry for the last real change to the
> package will be gone. We should keep at least one year (better two)
> of history, because our aim is that users' systems should still be
> upgradeable after this time. And IMHO emerge -l should give the user
> the full list of changes since his last update.

How about forgetting the time constraint, but just keeping all changelog
entries for all ebuilds that are in the tree?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 05-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

2011-05-02 02:16:49 Markos Chandras napisał(a):
> On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 04:31:08PM -0700, Brian Harring wrote:
> > On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 11:23:40PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> > > What about having a dedicated server-based changlog-signing key? That's
> > > still a lot of signing with a single key, but as you observed, the hazards
> > > of a loss of integrity there aren't as high as with most of the tree
> > > content. It'd require changes, but I don't believe they're out of line
> > > with that required for the rest of the proposal.
> >
> > It means the only real trust that clients can level is on that key-
> > since it will be the last signer (thus /the/ signer) across all pkgs.
> >
> > Get at that key, and you've got the tree, versus the current form,
> > crack all signing keys and you've got the tree.
> >
> > Mind you this is ignoring eclasses, but getting eclasses sorted will
> > be mildly pointless if the rest of the solution has been
> > weakened/gutted since.
> >
> > Point is, it's not *just* about having a signature on it- it's about
> > mapping the trust of that signature back, and sectioning/containing
> > compromises. What y'all are suggesting guts that layered defense.
> > ~brian
>
> Then the only choice here is to ignore Changelogs from Manifests and
> live with that. You have your changelogs unprotected but you keep your
> ebuilds safe(?). As I said, it is a balanced choice that has to be made.

Generated ChangeLogs could contain server-side-generated signatures for themselves
(gpg --sign --clearsign ChangeLog && mv ChangeLog.asc ChangeLog).
(Manifests wouldn't contain entries for ChangeLogs.)

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

Old 05-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Gilles Dartiguelongue

Le samedi 30 avril 2011 à 11:46 +0300, Petteri Räty a écrit :
> http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/misc-files/changelog/index.html
>
> There doesn't seem to be a common opinion on what the policy for
> ChangeLog entries is. See:
>
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_f829da2375f1ceab766a800913cc4998.xml
>
> I propose a simple new text: "Every commit should have an entry in
> ChangeLog." If we eventually autogenerate them from git logs this would
> happen any way (unless some kind of filtering system is in the middle)
> so we could already start now. I think it's better to have more than
> less information available to users.
>
> Regards,
> Petteri

As in any other open source project, history (even of removed files)
matters just as much as the outcome. Please make it a policy to always
have a ChangeLog entry for any changes.

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
Gentoo