Old 05-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Maxim Koltsov

Default Virtual for tftp server

2011/5/2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com>:
> If it doesn't care about what the tftp server is, presumably that means
> that the package itself doesn't actually use the tftp server (and if
> it did call the tftp server, it would need to know the syntax for each
> individual package, so it wouldn't be a virtual). So why would it be a
> DEPEND?
I meant RDEPEND, sorry.
> Since suggested dependencies don't exist yet, what's wrong with just
> elogging a message suggesting the user install a tftp server of their
> choice?
I think this is uncomfortable for user.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 17:01, Maxim Koltsov wrote:
> 2011/5/2 Ciaran McCreesh:
>> Since suggested dependencies don't exist yet, what's wrong with just
>> elogging a message suggesting the user install a tftp server of their
>> choice?
>
> I think this is uncomfortable for user.

i dont think so. i cant see RDEPENDing on a random tftp server being
terribly useful here, and it certainly isnt a requirement. elog it
and be done.
-mike

Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Maxim Koltsov

2011/5/2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>:
> i dont think so. *i cant see RDEPENDing on a random tftp server being
> terribly useful here, and it certainly isnt a requirement. *elog it
> and be done.
> -mike

Ok, please take a look at net-misc/ris-linux. It's used for network
installing windows, therefore user will need tftp, samba and friends,
so i added them to RDEPEND for convinience. Do you think we must ask
user to install them by hand by elog message?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Ulrich Mueller

> Ok, please take a look at net-misc/ris-linux. It's used for network
> installing windows, therefore user will need tftp, samba and friends,
> so i added them to RDEPEND for convinience. Do you think we must ask
> user to install them by hand by elog message?

If it's only few (let's say not more than three) packages that need
the dependency, they can easily use || ( ) in {,R}DEPEND. I wouldn't
create a virtual in such cases.

Ulrich