-   -   Proposal: include dbus session handling in baselayout (or somewhere, in which case where?) (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/520361-proposal-include-dbus-session-handling-baselayout-somewhere-case-where.html)

Leho Kraav 04-30-2011 04:20 PM

Proposal: include dbus session handling in baselayout (or somewhere, in which case where?)

Hi all

This is something like net-misc/keychain is for key management. My main
use case so far is to do with gnome-keyring-daemon for Subversion. If
you want to have a password-locked keyring, you will have to unlock it
every time you have a new dbus instance, which can pretty much happen
every time you open a new shell in tmux or whatnot since Subversion
needs dbus to communicate with keyring.

/etc/profile.d/dbus-session.sh attached, looking for feedback about
problems with it and if the whole approach even makes sense. I might be
not knowing something important.

--
Leho Kraav, M.Sc.

Mike Frysinger 06-07-2011 10:11 PM

On Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:20:15 Leho Kraav wrote:
> This is something like net-misc/keychain is for key management. My main
> use case so far is to do with gnome-keyring-daemon for Subversion. If
> you want to have a password-locked keyring, you will have to unlock it
> every time you have a new dbus instance, which can pretty much happen
> every time you open a new shell in tmux or whatnot since Subversion
> needs dbus to communicate with keyring.
>
> /etc/profile.d/dbus-session.sh attached, looking for feedback about
> problems with it and if the whole approach even makes sense. I might be
> not knowing something important.

i dont think this makes sense in baselayout. it works great without dbus.

doesnt the login manager already take care of launching a dbus-session ?
-mike

Nirbheek Chauhan 06-08-2011 02:02 AM

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:20:15 Leho Kraav wrote:
>> /etc/profile.d/dbus-session.sh attached, looking for feedback about
>> problems with it and if the whole approach even makes sense. I might be
>> not knowing something important.
>
> i dont think this makes sense in baselayout. *it works great without dbus.
>
> doesnt the login manager already take care of launching a dbus-session ?

I believe the use-case is being able to control applications from the
VTs without having to launch a dbus session manually. Which should be
done via ~/.bashrc, to be honest. Makes no sense to have a global dbus
session, since it's supposed to be per-user.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Mike Frysinger 06-08-2011 03:10 AM

On Tuesday, June 07, 2011 22:02:23 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:20:15 Leho Kraav wrote:
> >> /etc/profile.d/dbus-session.sh attached, looking for feedback about
> >> problems with it and if the whole approach even makes sense. I might be
> >> not knowing something important.
> >
> > i dont think this makes sense in baselayout. it works great without
> > dbus.
> >
> > doesnt the login manager already take care of launching a dbus-session ?
>
> I believe the use-case is being able to control applications from the
> VTs without having to launch a dbus session manually. Which should be
> done via ~/.bashrc, to be honest. Makes no sense to have a global dbus
> session, since it's supposed to be per-user.

i imagine this could be done via pam too

i dont think this is a global dbus session. it's in profile.d which means it
gets executed at shell login time. i think you meant .bash_login rather than
.bashrc.

probably the only place this could be integrated is in the dbus ebuild itself.
install it as a doc file and elog the info to make the user aware of it. i
don't think this is something we want to install automatically.
-mike