Old 04-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Panagiotis Christopoulos

Default Devmanual text on ChangeLogs

On 11:07 Sat 30 Apr , Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> I won't clutter ChangeLogs with useless entries for whitespace changes
> or spelling fixes in comments, for example. They already account for a
> considerable (too large?) percentage of the portage tree [1], and we
> shouldn't blow them up further by adding useless information.

Taking the latest portage snapshot from a mirror, the sum* of the apparent
sizes of all its files (forgetting directories, filesystems. overhead
etc.) is ~189Mb. The sum of ChangeLog files is ~66Mb, that is a ~35%
fraction.
Yes, I know this doesn't say much and I don't know the internals of
the rsync protocol (someone can say that communication lines are now better,
and cpu processing/disk space costs less than water/oil etc. so what
are we talking about?), however it is a fact, if anyone cares. If I
find a 1-year old portage snapshot I may calculate better statistics based
on fixed number of ChangeLogs that existed then and now to see how they
increased over the time.

*doing very quick calculations
--
Panagiotis Christopoulos ( pchrist )