-   -   Devmanual text on ChangeLogs (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/520232-devmanual-text-changelogs.html)

Petteri Räty 04-30-2011 08:46 AM

Devmanual text on ChangeLogs

http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/misc-files/changelog/index.html

There doesn't seem to be a common opinion on what the policy for
ChangeLog entries is. See:

http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_f829da2375f1ceab766a800913cc4998.xml

I propose a simple new text: "Every commit should have an entry in
ChangeLog." If we eventually autogenerate them from git logs this would
happen any way (unless some kind of filtering system is in the middle)
so we could already start now. I think it's better to have more than
less information available to users.

Regards,
Petteri

Samuli Suominen 04-30-2011 09:02 AM

On 04/30/2011 11:46 AM, Petteri Räty wrote:
> http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/misc-files/changelog/index.html
>
> There doesn't seem to be a common opinion on what the policy for
> ChangeLog entries is. See:
>
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_f829da2375f1ceab766a800913cc4998.xml
>
> I propose a simple new text: "Every commit should have an entry in
> ChangeLog." If we eventually autogenerate them from git logs this would
> happen any way (unless some kind of filtering system is in the middle)
> so we could already start now. I think it's better to have more than
> less information available to users.
>
> Regards,
> Petteri

"Every new file, and modification to existing file should have an entry
in ChangeLog." to skip the proper ChangeLog-less removals.

Ulrich Mueller 04-30-2011 09:07 AM

Devmanual text on ChangeLogs

> I propose a simple new text: "Every commit should have an entry in
> ChangeLog."

This would throw the baby out with the bath water.

I won't clutter ChangeLogs with useless entries for whitespace changes
or spelling fixes in comments, for example. They already account for a
considerable (too large?) percentage of the portage tree [1], and we
shouldn't blow them up further by adding useless information.

Ulrich

[1] http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/09/28/the-size-of-the-gentoo-tree
(this is from 2009, so probably it's even worse now)