Old 04-27-2011, 07:38 PM
James Cloos

Default Camellia?

Is there any specific reason why smtp.gentoo and pigeon.gentoo use
camellia for their outbound smtp starttls connections?

Not complaining or anything. Just curious.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Eray Aslan

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 03:38:16PM -0400, James Cloos wrote:
> Is there any specific reason why smtp.gentoo and pigeon.gentoo use
> camellia for their outbound smtp starttls connections?

Probably it is the strongest cipher supported. One can do

$ openssl ciphers -v 'ALL:@STRENGTH'

on those machines and see what comes up top. An upgrade might be in
order.
--
Eray Aslan
Developer, Gentoo Linux eras <at> gentoo.org

Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Dane Smith

Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Dane Smith

Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Dane Smith

Old 04-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Eray Aslan

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 09:14:07AM -0400, Dane Smith wrote:
> I find it somewhat hard to believe that they are using a version of
> OpenSSL that doesn't have AES-256. It's been around since 0.9.7.

It does have AES256 just lower in the list:

eras@woodpecker ~ $ openssl ciphers -v ALL:@STRENGTH | head -n5
ADH-CAMELLIA256-SHA SSLv3 Kx=DH Au=None Enc=Camellia(256)
Mac=SHA1
DHE-RSA-CAMELLIA256-SHA SSLv3 Kx=DH Au=RSA Enc=Camellia(256)
Mac=SHA1
DHE-DSS-CAMELLIA256-SHA SSLv3 Kx=DH Au=DSS Enc=Camellia(256)
Mac=SHA1
CAMELLIA256-SHA SSLv3 Kx=RSA Au=RSA Enc=Camellia(256)
Mac=SHA1
ADH-AES256-SHA SSLv3 Kx=DH Au=None Enc=AES(256) Mac=SHA1
eras@woodpecker ~ $ openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010

Presumably smtp.g.o and pigeon.g.o has the same setup.
ssl_create_cipher_list() makes the above list if you want to check its
history.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Panagiotis Christopoulos

On 18:35 Thu 28 Apr , Eray Aslan wrote:
> eras@woodpecker ~ $ openssl version
> OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010
>
> Presumably smtp.g.o and pigeon.g.o has the same setup.
> ssl_create_cipher_list() makes the above list if you want to check its
> history.

Please, can you continue this somewhere more privately? I wouldn't like it if
I were a sysadmin and someone was posting information about versions of
software of production machines publicly. I hope you understand.

--
Panagiotis Christopoulos ( pchrist )
( Gentoo Lisp Project )

Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 PM
James Cloos

PC> Please, can you continue this somewhere more privately? I wouldn't
PC> like it if I were a sysadmin and someone was posting information
PC> about versions of software of production machines publicly. I hope
PC> you understand.

This isn't private information. Everyone who receives mail from these
lists can see what crypto gentoo's outgoing servers use when connecting
to one's MXs.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Eray Aslan

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 06:59:05PM +0300, Panagiotis Christopoulos wrote:
> Please, can you continue this somewhere more privately? I wouldn't like it if
> I were a sysadmin and someone was posting information about versions of
> software of production machines publicly. I hope you understand.

Security through obscurity does not work. It especially will not work for the
infrastructure of a Linux distribution.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Mark Loeser

Eray Aslan <eras@gentoo.org> said:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 06:59:05PM +0300, Panagiotis Christopoulos wrote:
> > Please, can you continue this somewhere more privately? I wouldn't like it if
> > I were a sysadmin and someone was posting information about versions of
> > software of production machines publicly. I hope you understand.
>
> Security through obscurity does not work. It especially will not work for the
> infrastructure of a Linux distribution.

What does any of this have to do with development of Gentoo? Go send an
email to infrastructure if you want to talk to those that administer
those services.

--
Mark Loeser
email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org