Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Tomáš Chvátal

Default Disabling locale at emerge output

Old 04-22-2011, 12:31 PM
ragavender rao

yes.I too like that idea but people from some of the asian countries
like china, japan may fing difficult. So english with addition of
fewer languages can be used in it.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Fabian Groffen

On 22-04-2011 13:31:30 +0200, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> So I would like portage to filter/set environment the way it is always
> English.

How about creating a bug-reporting tool that simply runs the make
command again, without parallelisation, and with forced LC_ALL=C/POSIX?

Has the bonus that in most cases this makes finding the real error
easier. Has the drawback that it isn't always perfect/working, and that
one has to use a separate tool (or emerge --report-bug or something).

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 04-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn

Tomáš Chvátal schrieb:
> So I would like portage to filter/set environment the way it is always
> English.
>
> Opinions?

I think setting LC_MESSAGES=C is ok. Manipulating LANG or LC_ALL could
have more side effects.

Alternatively, portage could alert the user to submit bug reports only
with a C or English locale if a different one is detected.

Regards,
Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn

Old 04-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Jeroen Roovers

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:31:30 +0200
Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I am quite getting annoyed by bugzilla attached outputs in various
> interesting languages like Portugalese or French. I can read Russian
> so that is at least bit ok

I envy you.

> I can understand that it might be nice to user to see these messages
> in their native language, but it gets hell annoying when we have to
> figure out wtf is going on with their build when they attach it to
> the bug.

Meanwhile, we have been "fixing" bugs for years that only arise when
some funky LC_* values are used.

> So I would like portage to filter/set environment the way it is always
> English.

+1.

jer

Old 04-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Jeremy Olexa

I am quite getting annoyed by bugzilla attached outputs in various
interesting languages like Portugalese or French. I can read Russian
so

that is at least bit ok

I can understand that it might be nice to user to see these messages
in
their native language, but it gets hell annoying when we have to
figure

out wtf is going on with their build when they attach it to the bug.

I only spend a minimal amount of time on "figuring out what is wrong" -
RESOLVED:NEEDINFO, move on. So, I could care less on what portage does.

-Jeremy

So I would like portage to filter/set environment the way it is
always

English.

Opinions?

Cheers

Tom

Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 PM
"Andreas K. Huettel"

Am Freitag 22 April 2011, 17:23:19 schrieb Jeroen Roovers:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:31:30 +0200
>
> Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I am quite getting annoyed by bugzilla attached outputs in various
> > interesting languages like Portugalese or French. I can read Russian
> > so that is at least bit ok
>
> > So I would like portage to filter/set environment the way it is always
> > English.
>
> +1.
>

> jer

+1 too

Is there any good reason for a build to run with a specific locale?
If not, we should really force a "standard environment".

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer

Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM
"Andreas K. Huettel"

How about a portage "feature" that is off by default? Like, "locale" meaning
"build with locale"?

If it is on, and a build fails, the default error message could be extended
with something like

"Note that this build was using your system locale, i.e. the error messages
are in your language and may not be understood by the developers or
maintainers. If you want to file a bug, please re-emerge with FEATURE=-locale"

Old 04-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Jeroen Roovers

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:53:36 +0200
"Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@gentoo.org> wrote:

> How about a portage "feature" that is off by default? Like, "locale"
> meaning "build with locale"?

You mean we should settle for only slightly improved odds of getting a
build log we all can read?

> If it is on, and a build fails, the default error message could be
> extended with something like
>
> "Note that this build was using your system locale, i.e. the error
> messages are in your language and may not be understood by the
> developers or maintainers. If you want to file a bug, please
> re-emerge with FEATURE=-locale"

1) Hardly anyone is going to actually read that.

2) A good many of those who do read it, will ignore it.

3) It raises the bar for the bug to get filed in the first place. It's
definitely not a good idea to require users to go into another 10
hour session of, say, libreoffice or chromium compiling just to get
the proper LC_MESSAGES.

Again, slightly improved odds.

Also, with an interface that already forces users to read and write
English, and with the many commands not even using NLS or
lacking full translations coverage of all messages, it would probably
be in everyone's interest to see monolingual build output.

jer

Old 04-24-2011, 09:27 PM
"Andreas K. Huettel"

> So I would like portage to filter/set environment the way it is always
> English.
>
> Opinions?

There's another very good reason to implement this filtering.

I have observed that some of the QA warnings (I think _FORTIFY_SOURCE related)
are only triggered with an English locale.

And I'm sure we all pretty much agree that getting these warnings is a Good
Thing...

So, +1

--

Andreas K. Huettel