Old 04-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Donnie Berkholz

Default openrc portage news item

On 13:32 Thu 14 Apr , Kfir Lavi wrote:
> When i run world update, I usually don't really check all the written
> stuff.
>
> If I do this, I'm sure a lot more Gentoo users do the same. So do
> expect people rebooting the machine without checking what your have
> wrote. This can be a major headache if you have few systems that are
> doing auto updates. I would solve this issue by stopping the emerge
> and getting the attention of the user. If I don't get the attention of
> the user, no openrc will be installed. It should be something like
> emerge -C ... 1 .2 3 4 5...
>
> To conclude, you can't issue such a change without proper confirmation from
> the user.

I know this is the case. You're going to get literally thousands of
people (or more) who break their Gentoo systems if that indeed is the
consequence of not reading the migration guide and doing some action.

From a glance over the guide, it wasn't immediately obvious what in
there would result in a broken system. Perhaps it's the "run
dispatch-conf" that's buried in the middle of a paragraph without enough
emphasis? That's particularly confusing for people who use etc-update
instead, and it *needs* to move somewhere more obvious like a separate
code listing with big <important> tags and bold text. The line of red
text just isn't enough, it needs to stand out even more.

It seems like nobody's really clear on what exactly happens though,
since I've seen people talking about this *maybe* resulting in an
unbootable system. Has anyone tested it?

One potential cleaner approach to the same idea Kfir suggested is to
make it an interactive emerge with an ACCEPT_LICENSE-like feature that
pops up something you must read and agree to.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz