Old 04-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Iain Buchanan

Default no more time for SynCE

Hi,

Since I posted about looking for help[1] I'm sad to say I've barely
touched SynCE. Family commitments have changed, and I'm studying again
for the degree I started 10 years ago!

I'm therefore asking to be removed as the proxy for Synce. Hopefully
this means it won't die in Gentoo

Massive thanks to everyone who helped with my bad ebuild programming and
testing along the way - volker, mescalinum, ssuominen, the SynCE team
and everyone else.

The original testing overlay remains here[2] for anyone who wants to
take it over, just contact the SynCE dev team.

If there are any questions please cc me directly as I may not be on the
-dev list much more.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/69230
[2] https://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/dist/gentoo

many thanks!
--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au>

Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 04/11/2011 03:01 AM, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since I posted about looking for help[1] I'm sad to say I've barely
> touched SynCE. Family commitments have changed, and I'm studying again
> for the degree I started 10 years ago!
>
> I'm therefore asking to be removed as the proxy for Synce. Hopefully
> this means it won't die in Gentoo
>
> Massive thanks to everyone who helped with my bad ebuild programming and
> testing along the way - volker, mescalinum, ssuominen, the SynCE team
> and everyone else.
>
> The original testing overlay remains here[2] for anyone who wants to
> take it over, just contact the SynCE dev team.
>
> If there are any questions please cc me directly as I may not be on the
> -dev list much more.
>
> [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/69230
> [2] https://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/dist/gentoo
>
> many thanks!

np

We should have all of SynCE in Portage again, except for the GNOME bits
like synce-trayicon (hardcoded depend on sys-apps/hal) and the KDE bits
(haven't even looked).

Just by pulling synce-sync-engine as well as synce-connector the deps
should get pulled in -> No need for a meta package.

The overlay was, when I last checked entirely uncompatible with the
packages in tree as well as has confusing amount of deprecated ebuilds.
I would love if someone could wipe it clean so people stop accidentally
shooting themself in the foot with it.

I'll add the synce-trayicon to tree soon as upstream produces a HAL-free
version of it...

And it's up the KDE team to add the KDE bits if they want.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Samuli Suominen

Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Angelo Arrifano

On Seg, 2011-04-11 at 17:33 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 03:01 AM, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since I posted about looking for help[1] I'm sad to say I've barely
> > touched SynCE. Family commitments have changed, and I'm studying again
> > for the degree I started 10 years ago!
> >
> > I'm therefore asking to be removed as the proxy for Synce. Hopefully
> > this means it won't die in Gentoo
> >
> > Massive thanks to everyone who helped with my bad ebuild programming and
> > testing along the way - volker, mescalinum, ssuominen, the SynCE team
> > and everyone else.
> >
> > The original testing overlay remains here[2] for anyone who wants to
> > take it over, just contact the SynCE dev team.
> >
> > If there are any questions please cc me directly as I may not be on the
> > -dev list much more.
> >
> > [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/69230
> > [2] https://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/dist/gentoo
> >
> > many thanks!
>
> np
>
> We should have all of SynCE in Portage again, except for the GNOME bits
> like synce-trayicon (hardcoded depend on sys-apps/hal) and the KDE bits
> (haven't even looked).
>
> Just by pulling synce-sync-engine as well as synce-connector the deps
> should get pulled in -> No need for a meta package.
>
> The overlay was, when I last checked entirely uncompatible with the
> packages in tree as well as has confusing amount of deprecated ebuilds.
> I would love if someone could wipe it clean so people stop accidentally
> shooting themself in the foot with it.
>
> I'll add the synce-trayicon to tree soon as upstream produces a HAL-free
> version of it...
>
> And it's up the KDE team to add the KDE bits if they want.

Hello,

I want to help in sanitizing the overlay and bring the ebuilds into
portage. We can see that next weekend if you have the time.

Angelo Arrifano (miknix)
Developer / GPE maintainer
http://www.gentoo.org/~miknix
http://miknix.homelinux.com

Old 04-15-2011, 02:15 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 11:35 +0200, Angelo Arrifano wrote:
> On Seg, 2011-04-11 at 17:33 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> > On 04/11/2011 03:01 AM, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> > > [2] https://synce.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/synce/dist/gentoo

> Hello,
>
> I want to help in sanitizing the overlay and bring the ebuilds into
> portage. We can see that next weekend if you have the time.
>
> Regards,

Hi & thanks,

contact the SynCE devs on sourceforge or via
synce-devel@lists.sourceforge.net to get write access, I'm sure they
would be pleased.

If the current version is in the tree, then most of the overlay can be
removed, with perhaps the exception of synce-kpm and synce-gnome.

I won't be around the next couple of weekends but I'm happy to respond
to emails when I can, if I can help.
--
Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au>