Old 04-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Alex Legler

Default Using Jabber for developer communication

On 4/10/11 2:11 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:06:56 +0200
> Alex Legler <a3li@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 4/10/11 1:00 PM, Dmitry Dzhus wrote:
>>> When will Gentoo switch over to glorious and progressive Jabber
>>> from outdated and obsolete IRC?
>>>

>> After we've moved gentoo.org to myspace.com/gentoo.
>
> Myspace is passé. I think cool kids use facebook nowadays.

You successfully missed the joke.

(And please don't CC the senders when replying to the list)

Old 04-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Dale

Michał Górny wrote:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:06:56 +0200
Alex Legler<a3li@gentoo.org> wrote:

On 4/10/11 1:00 PM, Dmitry Dzhus wrote:

When will Gentoo switch over to glorious and progressive Jabber
from outdated and obsolete IRC?

After we've moved gentoo.org to myspace.com/gentoo.

Myspace is passé. I think cool kids use facebook nowadays.

Facebook will be one day too. Someone will build a better mouse trap
and people will move on to that too. Always does. Well, Gentoo is
different. It just gets better so people who like it will stay. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Michał Górny

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:15:01 +0200
Alex Legler <a3li@gentoo.org> wrote:

> (And please don't CC the senders when replying to the list)

#v+
:0: E
* ! ^List-Id:
* ^(To|CC):.*(gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org)
.maildir/.Trash/
#v-

Enjoy.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 03:00:42PM +0400, Dmitry Dzhus wrote:
> When will Gentoo switch over to glorious and progressive Jabber from
> outdated and obsolete IRC?

Infra ran a Jabber server for developers from at least 2004 (maybe
earlier, I wasn't heavily involved then) until mid 2008.

Usage was very low (peaked at 6 devs connected in the year I watched
it), and didn't justify the hardware & manpower resources it too.

Our LDAP instead has a gentooIM attribute, and 64 developers have XMPP
accounts list (72 unique JIDs).

A stable public XMPP-MUC only instance (no local users) may have some
value, but I wouldn't expect it to have anywhere near the turnout of
IRC.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Sunday, April 10, 2011 08:15:01 Alex Legler wrote:
> On 4/10/11 2:11 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> >>
> >> After we've moved gentoo.org to myspace.com/gentoo.
> >
> > Myspace is passé. I think cool kids use facebook nowadays.
>
> You successfully missed the joke.
>
> (And please don't CC the senders when replying to the list)

fix your mail client
-mike

Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 AM
Zhu Sha Zang