Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Samuli Suominen

Default Removal of default/linux/x86/gcc2 and default/linux/x86/vserver

On 04/09/2011 11:35 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> The 2 profiles in $subject will go away in 30 days wrt bug #361133.

And some early warning:

If you still use Linux 2.4, you should really look into migrating away
from it. For now the 2.4 profiles stay but that might not be the case
for much longer.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:30 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 4/9/11 10:50 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> On 04/09/2011 11:35 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>> The 2 profiles in $subject will go away in 30 days wrt bug #361133.
>>

> And some early warning:
>
> If you still use Linux 2.4, you should really look into migrating away
> from it. For now the 2.4 profiles stay but that might not be the case
> for much longer.

Isn't that a material for a news item? I mean both the 2 profiles
removal and the above.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Samuli Suominen

On 04/09/2011 01:30 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> On 4/9/11 10:50 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>> On 04/09/2011 11:35 AM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>>> The 2 profiles in $subject will go away in 30 days wrt bug #361133.
>>>

>> And some early warning:
>>
>> If you still use Linux 2.4, you should really look into migrating away
>> from it. For now the 2.4 profiles stay but that might not be the case
>> for much longer.
>
> Isn't that a material for a news item? I mean both the 2 profiles
> removal and the above.

That's what the 'deprecated' [1][2] file in profiles is for. I don't
see a reason to duplicate it in a news item for gcc2 and vserver profiles:

- The profile is hardly the least of problem for using gcc2, the rest of
the tree haven't been buildable with it for a long time. So I'm pretty
sure this hits 0 users.

- baselayout-vserver had been masked since 2009 with a message telling
users to move away from it, so this should also hit 0 users.

But you might be right for Kernel 2.4, that duplication might be worth
it, but as it's not going to get removed yet... We'll just see about
that later on.

[1]
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/profiles/default/linux/x86/vserver/deprecated?view=log

[2]