Old 03-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Samuli Suominen

Default rfc: New global USE flag called "ios", not same as "ipod" ?

The magic number is often 5, this is 4 but it's only magic!

ios (gnome-base/gvfs):
ios (media-libs/libgpod):
ios (media-sound/clementine):
ios (sys-power/upower):

Does this look proper?

"Enable imobiledevice support for Apple's iPhone, iPod, and iPad with
iOS operating system."

Hints from here:

http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_(Apple)

Old 03-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Angelo Arrifano

On Ter, 2011-03-29 at 06:23 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> The magic number is often 5, this is 4 but it's only magic!
>
> ios (gnome-base/gvfs):
> ios (media-libs/libgpod):
> ios (media-sound/clementine):
> ios (sys-power/upower):
>

> Does this look proper?
>
> "Enable imobiledevice support for Apple's iPhone, iPod, and iPad with
> iOS operating system."
>
> Hints from here:
>
> http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_(Apple)

Not quite. ipod flag usually covers the old iPod versions without iOS.
The iphone use flag covers some features present on the iPhone and not
necessarily present on all iPods (with iOS). So yeah, the ios use flag
makes sense to cover all devices with iOS ipod or iphone.

Angelo Arrifano (miknix)
Developer / GPE maintainer
http://www.gentoo.org/~miknix
http://miknix.homelinux.com

Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Angelo Arrifano

Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Samuli Suominen

On 03/29/2011 02:07 PM, Angelo Arrifano wrote:
> On Ter, 2011-03-29 at 06:23 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>> The magic number is often 5, this is 4 but it's only magic!
>>
>> ios (gnome-base/gvfs):
>> ios (media-libs/libgpod):
>> ios (media-sound/clementine):
>> ios (sys-power/upower):
>>

>> Does this look proper?
>>
>> "Enable imobiledevice support for Apple's iPhone, iPod, and iPad with
>> iOS operating system."
>>
>> Hints from here:
>>
>> http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_(Apple)
>>

> Not quite. ipod flag usually covers the old iPod versions without iOS.
> The iphone use flag covers some features present on the iPhone and not
> necessarily present on all iPods (with iOS). So yeah, the ios use flag
> makes sense to cover all devices with iOS ipod or iphone.
>
> Regards,

What do you mean by "Not quite." when you basically confirmed everything
I've said?

BTW, There is no more USE="iphone" in Portage.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Angelo Arrifano

On Ter, 2011-03-29 at 14:16 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 02:07 PM, Angelo Arrifano wrote:
> > On Ter, 2011-03-29 at 06:23 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> >> The magic number is often 5, this is 4 but it's only magic!
> >>
> >> ios (gnome-base/gvfs):
> >> ios (media-libs/libgpod):
> >> ios (media-sound/clementine):
> >> ios (sys-power/upower):
> >>

> >> Does this look proper?
> >>
> >> "Enable imobiledevice support for Apple's iPhone, iPod, and iPad with
> >> iOS operating system."
> >>
> >> Hints from here:
> >>
> >> http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_(Apple)
> >>

> > Not quite. ipod flag usually covers the old iPod versions without iOS.
> > The iphone use flag covers some features present on the iPhone and not
> > necessarily present on all iPods (with iOS). So yeah, the ios use flag
> > makes sense to cover all devices with iOS ipod or iphone.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> What do you mean by "Not quite." when you basically confirmed everything
> I've said?

Sorry, I was answering the question in the email's subject... I also
apologize for the double reply, but that is evolution's fault.

So yeah, thumbs up for new "ios" use flag.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Samuli Suominen

On 03/29/2011 02:21 PM, Angelo Arrifano wrote:
> On Ter, 2011-03-29 at 14:16 +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:

>>> Not quite. ipod flag usually covers the old iPod versions without iOS.
>>> The iphone use flag covers some features present on the iPhone and not
>>> necessarily present on all iPods (with iOS). So yeah, the ios use flag
>>> makes sense to cover all devices with iOS ipod or iphone.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>
>> What do you mean by "Not quite." when you basically confirmed everything
>> I've said?
>
> Sorry, I was answering the question in the email's subject... I also
> apologize for the double reply, but that is evolution's fault.
>
> So yeah, thumbs up for new "ios" use flag.

Oooook, thought so ;-)

- Samuli

Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Hanno Böck

Am Tue, 29 Mar 2011 06:23:04 +0300
schrieb Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org>:

> The magic number is often 5, this is 4 but it's only magic!

When I hear "ios" I first think of Cisco's IOS rather than Apple's. Is
this an issue?

--
Hanno Böck mail/jabber: hanno@hboeck.de
GPG: BBB51E42 http://www.hboeck.de/

JETZT zu Ökostrom wechseln: http://atomausstieg-selber-machen.de

Old 03-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Angelo Arrifano

On Ter, 2011-03-29 at 14:46 +0200, Hanno Böck wrote:
> Am Tue, 29 Mar 2011 06:23:04 +0300
> schrieb Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org>:
>
> > The magic number is often 5, this is 4 but it's only magic!
>
> When I hear "ios" I first think of Cisco's IOS rather than Apple's. Is
> this an issue?

Yes, it means you were not consumed by Apple madness yet
Now seriously, people should check use flag descriptions before enabling
them so IMHO this is not an issue.

- Angelo

Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 03/29/2011 03:46 PM, Hanno Böck wrote:
> Am Tue, 29 Mar 2011 06:23:04 +0300
> schrieb Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org>:
>
>> The magic number is often 5, this is 4 but it's only magic!
>
> When I hear "ios" I first think of Cisco's IOS rather than Apple's. Is
> this an issue?

Yeah, good point. But I still don't think it's an issue.

And I hope so too, because I've just committed that use.desc change like
5 mins ago ;-)

- Samuli