-   -   LiveCD: unpacking firmware (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/506359-livecd-unpacking-firmware.html)

Colleen Josephson 03-27-2011 09:38 PM

LiveCD: unpacking firmware

I had a question related to the amd64 minimal livecd.
I was not sure of the appropriate mailing list, so please forgive & redirect if this is the wrong one.

What exactly is happening at the "Unpacking firmware" stage of the boot process?

Is there a way to find out exactly what firmware is being loaded? Or a way to boot without loading the firmware?

Why? It is a somewhat strange reason. I am having issues with a high-pitched hum coming from the audio jacks (occurs on both MB sound and a creative sound card)

I have a very nice sound system (a sound board, studio monitors...I am an audio hobbyist), and no other system has these problems, so I am relatively sure that it is not the speakers/cables.

I have been booting from the liveCD, and I have pinpointed the point at which the hum starts to something near the *Unpacking firmware stage.

I realize this is somewhat esoteric, but it renders my system almost useless, and would greatly appreciate any input.
Thanks,
Colleen Josephson
Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Class of 2013