Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

Default developer profile, FEATURES=digest

FEATURES=digest results in a scary warning and a possibly dangerous
re-generation of manifests at the beginning of every emerge:

* The FEATURES=digest setting can prevent corruption from being noticed.
* The `repoman manifest` command is the preferred way to generate
* manifests and it is capable of doing an entire repository or category at
* once.

However, FEATURES=digest is enabled in the developer profile, and only
in that profile:

$ egrep '^FEATURES=.*digest' -r /usr/portage/profiles/
/usr/portage/profiles/targets/developer/make.defaults:FEATURES="collision-protect
digest multilib-strict sign splitdebug stricter test test-fail-continue
userpriv usersandbox"

I'd like to suggest removing "digest" from the line above. I've been
running with the developer profile and -digest in /etc/make.conf, and
everything is working fine.

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Thomas Kahle

On 13:13 Sun 27 Mar , "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> FEATURES=digest results in a scary warning and a possibly dangerous
> re-generation of manifests at the beginning of every emerge:
>
> * The FEATURES=digest setting can prevent corruption from being noticed.
> * The `repoman manifest` command is the preferred way to generate
> * manifests and it is capable of doing an entire repository or category at
> * once.
>
> However, FEATURES=digest is enabled in the developer profile, and only
> in that profile:
>
> $ egrep '^FEATURES=.*digest' -r /usr/portage/profiles/
> /usr/portage/profiles/targets/developer/make.defaults:FEATURES="collision-protect
> digest multilib-strict sign splitdebug stricter test test-fail-continue
> userpriv usersandbox"
>
> I'd like to suggest removing "digest" from the line above. I've been
> running with the developer profile and -digest in /etc/make.conf, and
> everything is working fine.

+1.

I disabled it on the first day and never had any issues.

Thomas

--
Thomas Kahle
http://dev.gentoo.org/~tomka/

Old 03-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Christoph Mende

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 16:57 +0200, Thomas Kahle wrote:
> On 13:13 Sun 27 Mar , "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> > FEATURES=digest results in a scary warning and a possibly dangerous
> > re-generation of manifests at the beginning of every emerge:
> >
> > * The FEATURES=digest setting can prevent corruption from being noticed.
> > * The `repoman manifest` command is the preferred way to generate
> > * manifests and it is capable of doing an entire repository or category at
> > * once.
> >
> > However, FEATURES=digest is enabled in the developer profile, and only
> > in that profile:
> >
> > $ egrep '^FEATURES=.*digest' -r /usr/portage/profiles/
> > /usr/portage/profiles/targets/developer/make.defaults:FEATURES="collision-protect
> > digest multilib-strict sign splitdebug stricter test test-fail-continue
> > userpriv usersandbox"
> >
> > I'd like to suggest removing "digest" from the line above. I've been
> > running with the developer profile and -digest in /etc/make.conf, and
> > everything is working fine.
>
> +1.
>
> I disabled it on the first day and never had any issues.
>
> Thomas

I guess the real question here is: why was it enabled?

Old 03-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Christoph Mende wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 16:57 +0200, Thomas Kahle wrote:
>> On 13:13 Sun 27 Mar * * , "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
>> > FEATURES=digest results in a scary warning and a possibly dangerous
>> > re-generation of manifests at the beginning of every emerge:
>> >
>> > ** The FEATURES=digest setting can prevent corruption from being noticed.
>> > ** The `repoman manifest` command is the preferred way to generate
>> > ** manifests and it is capable of doing an entire repository or category at
>> > ** once.
>> >
>> > However, FEATURES=digest is enabled in the developer profile, and only
>> > in that profile:
>> >
>> > $ egrep '^FEATURES=.*digest' -r /usr/portage/profiles/
>> > /usr/portage/profiles/targets/developer/make.defaults:FEATURES="collision-protect
>> > digest multilib-strict sign splitdebug stricter test test-fail-continue
>> > userpriv usersandbox"
>> >
>> > I'd like to suggest removing "digest" from the line above. I've been
>> > running with the developer profile and -digest in /etc/make.conf, and
>> > everything is working fine.
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> I disabled it on the first day and never had any issues.
>
> I guess the real question here is: why was it enabled?

because doing active development on ebuilds by definition invalidates
the manifest. portage didnt use to whine about it at all. a lot
easier to `emerge foo` without having to manually run `ebuild foo
manifest` all the damn time.

personally, i use FEATURES=digest on my development machine, but i can
see how people would find this undesirable as a profile default.
-mike

Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Christoph Mende wrote:

>>> +1.
>>>
>>> I disabled it on the first day and never had any issues.
>>
>> I guess the real question here is: why was it enabled?
>
> because doing active development on ebuilds by definition invalidates
> the manifest. *portage didnt use to whine about it at all. *a lot
> easier to `emerge foo` without having to manually run `ebuild foo
> manifest` all the damn time.
>
> personally, i use FEATURES=digest on my development machine, but i can
> see how people would find this undesirable as a profile default.

oh, and i'm fairly certain that it used to only rebuild Manifests as
necessary (instead of blindly doing it all the time), and it used to
not check the digests of missing files. the latter though now is
available through FEATURES=assume-digests.
-mike

Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Markos Chandras

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 01:13:51PM +0200, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> FEATURES=digest results in a scary warning and a possibly dangerous
> re-generation of manifests at the beginning of every emerge:
>
> * The FEATURES=digest setting can prevent corruption from being noticed.
> * The `repoman manifest` command is the preferred way to generate
> * manifests and it is capable of doing an entire repository or category at
> * once.
>
> However, FEATURES=digest is enabled in the developer profile, and only
> in that profile:
>
> $ egrep '^FEATURES=.*digest' -r /usr/portage/profiles/
> /usr/portage/profiles/targets/developer/make.defaults:FEATURES="collision-protect
> digest multilib-strict sign splitdebug stricter test test-fail-continue
> userpriv usersandbox"
>
> I'd like to suggest removing "digest" from the line above. I've been
> running with the developer profile and -digest in /etc/make.conf, and
> everything is working fine.
>
> Paweł Hajdan, Jr.

Yes please do it

Old 03-28-2011, 06:18 PM
justin

On 28/03/11 19:03, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Christoph Mende wrote:

>>> +1.
>>>
>>> I disabled it on the first day and never had any issues.
>>
>> I guess the real question here is: why was it enabled?
>
> because doing active development on ebuilds by definition invalidates
> the manifest. portage didnt use to whine about it at all. a lot
> easier to `emerge foo` without having to manually run `ebuild foo
> manifest` all the damn time.

In my opinion, setting
EBUILD_DEFAULT_OPTS="--skip-manifest"
and using the "undigested" ebuild only with the ebuild command is a
better way, then the FEATURE=digest approach.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM, justin wrote:
> On 28/03/11 19:03, Mike Frysinger wrote:

>>> I guess the real question here is: why was it enabled?
>>
>> because doing active development on ebuilds by definition invalidates
>> the manifest. *portage didnt use to whine about it at all. *a lot
>> easier to `emerge foo` without having to manually run `ebuild foo
>> manifest` all the damn time.
>
> In my opinion, setting
> EBUILD_DEFAULT_OPTS="--skip-manifest"
> and using the "undigested" ebuild only with the ebuild command is a
> better way, then the FEATURE=digest approach.

highly workflow dependent. your setup wouldnt cover all of mine.
-mike

Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Christoph Mende

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 13:03 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Christoph Mende wrote:

> >> +1.
> >>
> >> I disabled it on the first day and never had any issues.
> >
> > I guess the real question here is: why was it enabled?
>
> because doing active development on ebuilds by definition invalidates
> the manifest. portage didnt use to whine about it at all. a lot
> easier to `emerge foo` without having to manually run `ebuild foo
> manifest` all the damn time.
>
> personally, i use FEATURES=digest on my development machine, but i can
> see how people would find this undesirable as a profile default.
> -mike

Ah, yes, now that you mention it, I really like it that I can just
"repoman full" instead of "repoman manifest; repoman full".
Although for testing I use ebuild foo.ebuild digest clean install most
of the time, so it's not relevant there.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:22 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 3/27/11 1:13 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> I'd like to suggest removing "digest" from the line above. I've been
> running with the developer profile and -digest in /etc/make.conf, and
> everything is working fine.

Are there any objections against doing the above?

Christos (angelos), Mike (vapier): your comments don't sound like a
strong "no objections" to me, but they also don't sound like "please
don't do that". I guess you may need to add FEATURES=digest to your
/etc/make.conf after the profile change, but that should generally be
fine, right?

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.