Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Rich Freeman

Default FYI: USE="hal" masked in base/use.mask and related

2011/3/28 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org>:
> Shit happens as it is used to say,

As demonstrated by my clumsy reply...

> albeit for next time it might better
> rather than filling the bug fixing it yourself and just reporting it on
> - -dev So it gets fixed faster

Not if I test it properly (direct change in the stable tree to things
like HAL aren't something I'd do lightly - you guys at least know what
you were trying to accomplish and already have an answer should QA
come calling).

Rich

Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 03/28/2011 03:06 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> 2011/3/28 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org>:
>> Shit happens as it is used to say,
>
> As demonstrated by my clumsy reply...
>
>> albeit for next time it might better
>> rather than filling the bug fixing it yourself and just reporting it on
>> - -dev So it gets fixed faster
>
> Not if I test it properly (direct change in the stable tree to things
> like HAL aren't something I'd do lightly - you guys at least know what
> you were trying to accomplish and already have an answer should QA
> come calling).
>
> Rich

well, it would have been fixed faster if you just poked me on IRC:
"ssuominen, fix your sh*t"

first time I've heard of this, was from scarabeus at IRC when it was
already fixed

Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Markos Chandras

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 11:36:00AM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> USE="hal" is masked in base/use.mask, but unmasked for kde-base/solid
> and app-cdr/k3b in base/package.use.mask pending on KDE 4.6.x stabilization.
>
> This is preparation for dropping the uncompressed usb.ids file from
> sys-apps/usbutils, which HAL relies on.
>
> Also, both udisks and upower now have blockers for sys-apps/hal to
> prevent overlapping features.
>
> -Samuli

Good evening,

Why didn't you use the news utility to inform users about this change
and possible transition steps/migration guide? This is a rather big
change that might (or may not) require a bit of effort from non-power
users to migrate their systems to the new backend. A short summary of
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858965-start-0.html
would be nice but I guess it is too late for that since another
major change occurred without advertising it properly to our users.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Gilles Dartiguelongue

Le mardi 29 mars 2011 23:36 +0100, Markos Chandras a crit :
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 11:36:00AM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> > USE="hal" is masked in base/use.mask, but unmasked for kde-base/solid
> > and app-cdr/k3b in base/package.use.mask pending on KDE 4.6.x stabilization.
> >
> > This is preparation for dropping the uncompressed usb.ids file from
> > sys-apps/usbutils, which HAL relies on.
> >
> > Also, both udisks and upower now have blockers for sys-apps/hal to
> > prevent overlapping features.
> >
> > -Samuli
> >

> Good evening,
>
> Why didn't you use the news utility to inform users about this change
> and possible transition steps/migration guide? This is a rather big
> change that might (or may not) require a bit of effort from non-power
> users to migrate their systems to the new backend. A short summary of
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858965-start-0.html
> would be nice but I guess it is too late for that since another
> major change occurred without advertising it properly to our users.
>
> Regards,

I wouldn't say it's too late for cases like this. A documentation about
reasons and ways to remove hal support and still get a nice desktop
experience is always re-assuring to users. Even if it comes one or two
weeks too late.

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
Gentoo

Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Samuli Suominen

On 03/30/2011 01:36 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 11:36:00AM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>> USE="hal" is masked in base/use.mask, but unmasked for kde-base/solid
>> and app-cdr/k3b in base/package.use.mask pending on KDE 4.6.x stabilization.
>>

> Why didn't you use the news utility to inform users about this change
> and possible transition steps/migration guide? This is a rather big
> change that might (or may not) require a bit of effort from non-power

Let's stop here. The mask has effect only on some 5-6 packages in
tree, and not even that many if you count only latest. The big changes
happened long before this when each desktop stopped supporting it and it
falls under the umbrella of said desktops to inform their users if they
feel it's necessary.

> users to migrate their systems to the new backend. A short summary of
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858965-start-0.html
> would be nice but I guess it is too late for that since another
> major change occurred without advertising it properly to our users.

I don't like the idea of using unofficial forums posts in official news
items. That said, tampakrap converted the post to guidexml once, but
it needs polishing up. Volunteers are required to clean it up.

That said, I still support the idea of news item, just not the idea of
you trying to dump the responsibility from the desktop maintainers to me...

- Samuli

Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Markos Chandras

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 01:27:48PM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote:

> That said, I still support the idea of news item, just not the idea of
> you trying to dump the responsibility from the desktop maintainers to me...
>
> - Samuli

That wasn't my attempt at all. I am sorry if I expressed in a wrong way.
My main concern was that this kind of changes require a specific
transition steps which are not always obvious to most of us. Even me who
actively participate in ML and forums had problems during this
migration.