Old 03-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Mike Frysinger

Default How a new ARCH is added to Gentoo?

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Kfir Lavi wrote:
> Is there any article that elaborate my question?
> My aim is to explain, why Gentoo is much more agile then
> any other binary distribution when hopping between arches.
> Lets say we started development on x86, then we want to
> move to another arch, or a totally new arch. I would like
> to know the process, lets say compared to Debian.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/318251
-mike

Old 03-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Kfir Lavi

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Kfir Lavi wrote:
>> Is there any article that elaborate my question?
>> My aim is to explain, why Gentoo is much more agile then
>> any other binary distribution when hopping between arches.
>> Lets say we started development on x86, then we want to
>> move to another arch, or a totally new arch. I would like
>> to know the process, lets say compared to Debian.
>
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/318251
> -mike

Hey Mike,
thanks a lot for your document.
It seems really easy to do this. (Well, after you know how to handle
Catalyst ;-)
I guess the wicking part and the compilation of packages will add some work.
But it really seems simple.

Thanks,
Kfir