FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Jeremy Olexa
 
Default RFC: Remove .lzma in favor of .xz portage snapshots

Hello all, This email is to solicit concerns or thoughts about removing
the .lzma portage snapshots.


The facts:
- Starting on 2011-03-03, I enabled .xz compression on snapshots that
Gentoo makes available[1].

- On 2011-01-05, Mike added[2] .xz support to emerge-webrsync.
- xz-utils is now in the system set[3] anyway and .xz instead of .lzma
should eliminate some confusion for new users.


That is about all I can think of. My opinion is that this is mostly a
cosmetic change (as lzma is generated via xz-utils anyway) but makes
sense given the popular[4] compression choices. I'd like to target
2011-04-01 as the date to turn off lzma generation. After generation is
turned off, the lzma archives will fall off the mirrors in 7 days. Any
concerns?


Thanks,
Jeremy

[1]: http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/
[2]:
http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=9ff806
[3]:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_998b4e7fdf578346bb5cfc66be340f7d.xml
[4]: Without known data to back this up, I'm using the short options of
tar(1) to form some opinion as presented by the community.
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default RFC: Remove .lzma in favor of .xz portage snapshots

On Friday, March 04, 2011 12:33:08 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> Hello all, This email is to solicit concerns or thoughts about removing
> the .lzma portage snapshots.
>
> The facts:
> - Starting on 2011-03-03, I enabled .xz compression on snapshots that
> Gentoo makes available[1].
> - On 2011-01-05, Mike added[2] .xz support to emerge-webrsync.
> - xz-utils is now in the system set[3] anyway and .xz instead of .lzma
> should eliminate some confusion for new users.
>
> That is about all I can think of. My opinion is that this is mostly a
> cosmetic change (as lzma is generated via xz-utils anyway) but makes
> sense given the popular[4] compression choices. I'd like to target
> 2011-04-01 as the date to turn off lzma generation. After generation is
> turned off, the lzma archives will fall off the mirrors in 7 days. Any
> concerns?

i dont think we're generating .xz yet ... otherwise, let's do it
-mike
 
Old 03-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Jeremy Olexa
 
Default RFC: Remove .lzma in favor of .xz portage snapshots

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 16:18:40 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:

On Friday, March 04, 2011 12:33:08 Jeremy Olexa wrote:

<snip>
The facts:
- Starting on 2011-03-03, I enabled .xz compression on snapshots
that

Gentoo makes available[1].
<snip>


i dont think we're generating .xz yet ... otherwise, let's do it
-mike


It makes me sad that you didn't even read my first bullet point Yes.
We are generating xz snapshots now.

-Jeremy
 
Old 03-05-2011, 02:05 AM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default RFC: Remove .lzma in favor of .xz portage snapshots

On Friday, March 04, 2011 16:23:59 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 16:18:40 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Friday, March 04, 2011 12:33:08 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> The facts:
> >> - Starting on 2011-03-03, I enabled .xz compression on snapshots
> >>
> >> that
> >>
> >> Gentoo makes available[1].
> >>
> >> <snip>
> >
> > i dont think we're generating .xz yet ... otherwise, let's do it
> > -mike
>
> It makes me sad that you didn't even read my first bullet point

i thought you were talking about something else :P
-mike
 
Old 03-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Jeremy Olexa
 
Default RFC: Remove .lzma in favor of .xz portage snapshots

On 03/04/2011 11:33 AM, Jeremy Olexa wrote:

Hello all, This email is to solicit concerns or thoughts about removing
the .lzma portage snapshots.

The facts:
- Starting on 2011-03-03, I enabled .xz compression on snapshots that
Gentoo makes available[1].
- On 2011-01-05, Mike added[2] .xz support to emerge-webrsync.
- xz-utils is now in the system set[3] anyway and .xz instead of .lzma
should eliminate some confusion for new users.

That is about all I can think of. My opinion is that this is mostly a
cosmetic change (as lzma is generated via xz-utils anyway) but makes
sense given the popular[4] compression choices. I'd like to target
2011-04-01 as the date to turn off lzma generation. After generation is
turned off, the lzma archives will fall off the mirrors in 7 days. Any
concerns?


Done as of today, ahead of schedule because I have time now
-Jeremy



Thanks,
Jeremy

[1]: http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/
[2]:
http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=9ff806
[3]:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_998b4e7fdf578346bb5cfc66be340f7d.xml

[4]: Without known data to back this up, I'm using the short options of
tar(1) to form some opinion as presented by the community.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org