Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 AM
Ganath Rathnayaka

Default Make the clustering LiveCD from a previous GSoC bootable from USB

Hi Devs,
I am Ganath Rathnayaka from University of Peradeniya and I am like to "Make the clustering LiveCD from a previous GSoC bootable from USB " involve in this project since I am interesting in clustering, high performance computing and specially clustering using a USB bootable. So I like to see the USB bootable code for start workaround. If you can point me out where can I get the code for the USB bootable code then it will be a great help.

--
thanks
Ganath

Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 AM
likewhoa

The easiest way to get a removable device like a usb stick to boot is to
use sys-boot/syslinux's isohybrid utility on your iso image that boots
from isolinux. Old hat method involves manually creating the filesystem
and copying data to it which you can find a guide at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml or
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-811070.html to convert any of the
install cds using isohybrid.

Good luck,
likewhoa

Old 02-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Donnie Berkholz

On 07:14 Mon 28 Feb , Ganath Rathnayaka wrote:
> Hi Devs,
> I am Ganath Rathnayaka from University of Peradeniya and I am like to "Make
> the clustering LiveCD from a previous GSoC bootable from USB " involve in
> this project since I am interesting in clustering, high performance
> computing and specially clustering using a USB bootable. So I like to see
> the USB bootable code for start workaround. If you can point me out where
> can I get the code for the USB bootable code then it will be a great help.

Hi Ganath!

You should get in touch with Eric Thibodeau, who worked on this project
(CC'd to this email). I think you can reach him on IRC (kyron on
irc.freenode.net) or the gentoo-soc and gentoo-cluster mailing lists.

You can find the code at
<http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/clustering-livecd.git;a=summary>.
As you can see, it will probably need some updating to work with the
latest versions of other software before you can enhance it.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz