Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 AM
Jeremy Olexa

Default Pending removal(?) of media-libs/pdflib

The bugs are stacking up[1] and upstream only offers a paid version of
pdflib-8[2]. It is my understanding that there is no way for us to
package future versions and the bundled libs are vulnerable[3].

So, should it be removed? For more info, see the tracker bug for its
removal[1], there are a number of rdeps that will require fixing[4].

[1]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/355971
[2]: http://www.pdflib.com/download/free-software/pdflib-lite-7/
[3]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/253263
[4]: http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/misc/rindex/media-libs/pdflib

Thanks,
-Jeremy

Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 00:32:52 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
> The bugs are stacking up[1] and upstream only offers a paid version of
> pdflib-8[2]. It is my understanding that there is no way for us to
> package future versions and the bundled libs are vulnerable[3].
>
> So, should it be removed? For more info, see the tracker bug for its
> removal[1], there are a number of rdeps that will require fixing[4].

is there a suitable replacement functionality wise ? i'm aware of PHP based
PDF generators (which often work great), but there doesnt seem to be any
replacement for this package atm ?
-mike

Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 AM
Ulrich Mueller

> The bugs are stacking up[1] and upstream only offers a paid version of
> pdflib-8[2]. It is my understanding that there is no way for us to
> package future versions and the bundled libs are vulnerable[3].

> So, should it be removed? For more info, see the tracker bug for its
> removal[1], there are a number of rdeps that will require fixing[4].

sci-visualization/gnuplot[pdf] is currently linking against pdflib.
I'm going to remove that dependency, because in my understanding,
clause 2.1 of the PDFLite license does not allow such linking.
(It allows it for programs under an OSI approved license. However, the
gnuplot license is free, but not OSI approved.)

Ulrich

Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 02:29:06 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> > The bugs are stacking up[1] and upstream only offers a paid version of
> > pdflib-8[2]. It is my understanding that there is no way for us to
> > package future versions and the bundled libs are vulnerable[3].
> >
> > So, should it be removed? For more info, see the tracker bug for its
> > removal[1], there are a number of rdeps that will require fixing[4].
>
> sci-visualization/gnuplot[pdf] is currently linking against pdflib.
> I'm going to remove that dependency, because in my understanding,
> clause 2.1 of the PDFLite license does not allow such linking.
> (It allows it for programs under an OSI approved license. However, the
> gnuplot license is free, but not OSI approved.)

that might disallow it for binaries, but it doesnt disallow it from being used
in ebuilds. same situation as binary kernel drivers -- make it the end user's
problem.
-mike

Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Ulrich Mueller

>> sci-visualization/gnuplot[pdf] is currently linking against pdflib.
>> I'm going to remove that dependency, because in my understanding,
>> clause 2.1 of the PDFLite license does not allow such linking. (It
>> allows it for programs under an OSI approved license. However, the
>> gnuplot license is free, but not OSI approved.)

> that might disallow it for binaries, but it doesnt disallow it from
> being used in ebuilds. same situation as binary kernel drivers --
> make it the end user's problem.

Why should we impose such trouble on our users, when there's a (IMHO
superior) replacement? Build gnuplot with USE="cairo" and you can get
PDF output with the "pdfcairo" terminal. Even with proper utf-8
support, which was always broken with pdflib.

Ulrich

Old 02-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Rich Freeman

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> that might disallow it for binaries, but it doesnt disallow it from
>> being used in ebuilds. same situation as binary kernel drivers --
>> make it the end user's problem.
>
> Why should we impose such trouble on our users, when there's a (IMHO
> superior) replacement? Build gnuplot with USE="cairo" and you can get
> PDF output with the "pdfcairo" terminal. Even with proper utf-8
> support, which was always broken with pdflib.

+1 to both - if a free alternative works then we should always prefer
it. However, at worst linking license issues should just force us to
set RESTRICT="bindist" or the like (and mirror as well if we can't
distribute the source). As long as users don't redistribute software
they don't need to worry about licenses if the person sending it to
them had the license to distribute it in the first place.

Rich

Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Francesco R

2011/2/22 Rich Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org>:
>>> that might disallow it for binaries, but it doesnt disallow it from
>>> being used in ebuilds. same situation as binary kernel drivers --
>>> make it the end user's problem.
>>
>> Why should we impose such trouble on our users, when there's a (IMHO
>> superior) replacement? Build gnuplot with USE="cairo" and you can get
>> PDF output with the "pdfcairo" terminal. Even with proper utf-8
>> support, which was always broken with pdflib.
>
> +1 to both - if a free alternative works then we should always prefer
> it. *However, at worst linking license issues should just force us to
> set RESTRICT="bindist" or the like (and mirror as well if we can't
> distribute the source). *As long as users don't redistribute software
> they don't need to worry about licenses if the person sending it to
> them had the license to distribute it in the first place.
>
> Rich

Last time (many moons ago) I've checked cairo did not generated pdf it
did generated raster images and wrapped them in a thin pdf layer.
pdflib is generating vector pdf which is a different thing.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Ulrich Mueller

>>> Build gnuplot with USE="cairo" and you can get PDF output with the
>>> "pdfcairo" terminal.

> Last time (many moons ago) I've checked cairo did not generated pdf
> it did generated raster images and wrapped them in a thin pdf layer.
> pdflib is generating vector pdf which is a different thing.

You should check again.

Ulrich

Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:54:11 Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> > Last time (many moons ago) I've checked cairo did not generated pdf
> > it did generated raster images and wrapped them in a thin pdf layer.
> > pdflib is generating vector pdf which is a different thing.
>
> You should check again.

are you saying that because you know cairo has fixed itself, or because you
dont know the answer yourself ?
-mike

Old 02-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Dne 22.2.2011 19:20, Mike Frysinger napsal(a):

>>> Last time (many moons ago) I've checked cairo did not generated pdf
>>> it did generated raster images and wrapped them in a thin pdf layer.
>>> pdflib is generating vector pdf which is a different thing.
>>
>> You should check again.
>
> are you saying that because you know cairo has fixed itself, or because you
> dont know the answer yourself ?
> -mike
To my best knowledge cairo can do proper pdf files.

Courtesy of 12 lines of python, see the attachment, both vector curves
and normal text in one fancy pdf file.

Tom