Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

Default gtk 3 preparation work

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On 11:13 Sun 27 Feb * * , Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
>>> a quick mail to announce that the gnome team, in order to prepare for
>>> gnome 3, started slotting a lot of gnome team managed packages. If you
>>> find yourself using such a package, please update your ebuilds to use
>>> slot notations or other EAPI compliant notation resulting in the same
>>> effect.
>>
>> This email would be much more useful if it included a list of affected
>> packages, sorted by maintainer and/or herd.
>>

> As requested, here is a (probably) complete list of packages which
> depend on x11-libs/gtk+ without a slot. The list was generated using
> the tinderbox rindex, so it may be slightly out of date.

I've started maintaining an irregularly updated list for gtk+ (and a
few other libraries):

http://dev.gentoo.org/~nirbheek/gnome/3.0/slotting/

The script I use to generate these lists is:

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gnome.git;a=blob;f=scripts/slot_rindex.py;hb=HEAD

If you look at the lists in that directory, you'll be able to guess
that there are other libraries which need the same treatment. The list
of these libraries is, however, incomplete right now. We'll be sending
a mail about that later, but folks can fix deps to use slots right now
if they wish.

Thanks to everyone who has fixed deps of their (and other folks') packages!

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Angelo Arrifano

On Ter, 2011-03-01 at 13:02 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> This email would be much more useful if it included a list of affected
> >> packages, sorted by maintainer and/or herd.
> >>

> > As requested, here is a (probably) complete list of packages which
> > depend on x11-libs/gtk+ without a slot. The list was generated using
> > the tinderbox rindex, so it may be slightly out of date.
> >

> I just realized that there was a bug in my script which caused the
> maintainer-sorted list to not group packages together. Attached is an
> updated list.

Thanks for the list, things for gpe herd are done.
--
Angelo Arrifano (miknix)
Developer / GPE maintainer

Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Hans de Graaff

On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 00:22 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:

> The script I use to generate these lists is:
>
> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gnome.git;a=blob;f=scripts/slot_rindex.py;hb=HEAD

Looks like it includes dependencies such as =gtkhtml-2*, even though
these should be safe without an explicit slot. See e.g.
dev-ruby/ruby-gtkhtml.

Kind regards,

Hans

Old 03-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Hans de Graaff <graaff@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 00:22 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
>
>> The script I use to generate these lists is:
>>
>> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gnome.git;a=blob;f=scripts/slot_rindex.py;hb=HEAD
>>

> Looks like it includes dependencies such as =gtkhtml-2*, even though
> these should be safe without an explicit slot. See e.g.
> dev-ruby/ruby-gtkhtml.

Yeah, I realized that, but it's too complicated to figure out whether
such deps are correct or not (and whether they will *remain* correct),
since the slot is completely detached from the version number. I think
it's best to just add the slot explicitly to such ebuilds if they're
not EAPI=0.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 03-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@gentoo.org>:
> Indeed, it is quite large, coming at ~1100 ebuilds. Hence, I've
> attached it instead of pasting it in-line. Unsurprisingly, some are
> gnome packages, and even a few maintained by me

Claws Mail and plugins are fixed.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

Old 03-06-2011, 12:24 PM
justin

On 05/03/11 19:52, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:04 AM, Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> This email would be much more useful if it included a list of affected
>>> packages, sorted by maintainer and/or herd.
>>>

>> As requested, here is a (probably) complete list of packages which
>> depend on x11-libs/gtk+ without a slot. The list was generated using
>> the tinderbox rindex, so it may be slightly out of date.
>>

> I've started maintaining an irregularly updated list for gtk+ (and a
> few other libraries):
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~nirbheek/gnome/3.0/slotting/
>
> The script I use to generate these lists is:
>
> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gnome.git;a=blob;f=scripts/slot_rindex.py;hb=HEAD
>
> If you look at the lists in that directory, you'll be able to guess
> that there are other libraries which need the same treatment. The list
> of these libraries is, however, incomplete right now. We'll be sending
> a mail about that later, but folks can fix deps to use slots right now
> if they wish.
>
> Thanks to everyone who has fixed deps of their (and other folks') packages!

all sci is fixed.

Why do you have a rdeps list for vte. it is in slot 0. Will there be a
different slot in future?

justin

Old 03-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 6:54 PM, justin <jlec@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 05/03/11 19:52, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
>> I've started maintaining an irregularly updated list for gtk+ (and a
>> few other libraries):
>>
>> http://dev.gentoo.org/~nirbheek/gnome/3.0/slotting/
>>

> all sci is fixed.
>
> Why do you have a rdeps list for vte. it is in slot 0. Will there be a
> different slot in future?

Yeah, there's a new slot for GTK+-3 (currently 2.90, but that will
probably change before the final release). The current vte won't
change slot, however. We decided that slotting should be done on the
basis of the pkg-config file name, and vte:0's pkgconfig file (and
include dir) are at '0'.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Hans de Graaff <graaff@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 00:22 +0530, Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
>
>> The script I use to generate these lists is:
>>
>> http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gnome.git;a=blob;f=scripts/slot_rindex.py;hb=HEAD
>>

> Looks like it includes dependencies such as =gtkhtml-2*, even though
> these should be safe without an explicit slot. See e.g.
> dev-ruby/ruby-gtkhtml.

okay, I changed the script a bit, and made it check the cpvs matched
for =cat/pkg-ver* deps, and if the slots for them all are the same,
it's assigned to the proper slot-dep. So that fixes this problem.

I added this because a *LOT* of really old EAPI=0 packages were
depending on =x11-libs/gtk+-1.2*, which was polluting the list.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 AM
justin

On 21/02/11 15:09, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> a quick mail to announce that the gnome team, in order to prepare for
> gnome 3, started slotting a lot of gnome team managed packages. If you
> find yourself using such a package, please update your ebuilds to use
> slot notations or other EAPI compliant notation resulting in the same
> effect.
>
> A non-exhaustive list of slotted libraries this far: gtk, gtksourceview,
> gtk-engines, libwnck, ...
>
> We aim at including gtk:3 in the coming days, so please forgive us if we
> get to your package before you read this mail.

Hi,

Could you please send an updated version of the package-to-slot list?
And it would be still nice to have a script in order to check for needed
slotting.

thanks jsutin

Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM, justin <jlec@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 21/02/11 15:09, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
> Could you please send an updated version of the package-to-slot list?

http://dev.gentoo.org/~nirbheek/gnome/3.0/slotting/

Everything was fixed about a month ago —
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/70479

I still (irregularly) update the slotting lists in case people re-add
packages without slots. However, the file list on that page is
sufficient to discern which packages need to be depended on with a
slot.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/69992

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan