FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
 
Default RFC: package.keywords-compatible snippets when stabilizing multiple packages

Sometimes there are very simple things we can do to make arch
developers' life easier. For example, when stabilizing multiple packages
it's very helpful to post a snippet that can be copy-pasted to
package.keywords, like in those bugs:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=322791
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329703

I'd like to suggest that all multiple-package stabilization bugs follow
that convention. What do you think?
 
Old 02-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Gilles Dartiguelongue
 
Default RFC: package.keywords-compatible snippets when stabilizing multiple packages

Le lundi 14 février 2011 * 13:30 +0100, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." a écrit :
> Sometimes there are very simple things we can do to make arch
> developers' life easier. For example, when stabilizing multiple packages
> it's very helpful to post a snippet that can be copy-pasted to
> package.keywords, like in those bugs:
>
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=322791
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329703
>
> I'd like to suggest that all multiple-package stabilization bugs follow
> that convention. What do you think?
>

gnome herd does provide a similar list with arches list as well.
Arches can then do cat gnome.list |egrep "myarch" | cut -f1 -d' ' and
they only get the set they should work on.

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
Gentoo
 
Old 02-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò
 
Default RFC: package.keywords-compatible snippets when stabilizing multiple packages

Il giorno lun, 14/02/2011 alle 14.49 +0100, Gilles Dartiguelongue ha
scritto:
> Arches can then do cat gnome.list |egrep "myarch" | cut -f1 -d' ' and
> they only get the set they should work on.

awk '/myarch/ { print $1 }' gnome.list

Just sayin'

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
 
Old 02-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Tomáš Chvátal
 
Default RFC: package.keywords-compatible snippets when stabilizing multiple packages

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Dne 14.2.2011 14:49, Gilles Dartiguelongue napsal(a):
> Le lundi 14 février 2011 * 13:30 +0100, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." a écrit :
>> Sometimes there are very simple things we can do to make arch
>> developers' life easier. For example, when stabilizing multiple packages
>> it's very helpful to post a snippet that can be copy-pasted to
>> package.keywords, like in those bugs:
>>
>> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=322791
>> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329703
>>
>> I'd like to suggest that all multiple-package stabilization bugs follow
>> that convention. What do you think?
>>
>
> gnome herd does provide a similar list with arches list as well.
> Arches can then do cat gnome.list |egrep "myarch" | cut -f1 -d' ' and
> they only get the set they should work on.
>
Same does x11 team...
Example:
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354237

I think this does not need any policy, most teams can use brains and
fill the bugs quite conveniently

Tom
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAk1ZNy4ACgkQHB6c3gNBRYey8QCggjUauZ3BTJ Q28k5aO5gQJqeS
0rQAn08R2d9GvkPxhBrQEz7ohajhCenN
=5k2C
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan
 
Default RFC: package.keywords-compatible snippets when stabilizing multiple packages

2011/2/14 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org>:
> Dne 14.2.2011 14:49, Gilles Dartiguelongue napsal(a):
> Same does x11 team...
> Example:
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354237
>
> I think this does not need any policy, most teams can use brains and
> fill the bugs quite conveniently
>

In related news, there's a nice script to generate such a list:

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gnome.git;a=blob;f=scripts/gen_archlist.py

It will assign a stable keyword for an arch if and only if an earlier
version was stable for that package.

Usage: ./gen_archlist.py <file_with_all_atoms>

to check the dependencies recursively and generate a list:

CHECK_DEPS=1 ./gen_archlist.py <file_with_atoms>

Examples of files with atoms:

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gnome.git;a=tree;f=scripts/test-data

Bugs:

* Only works for generating STABLEREQ lists. KEYWORDREQ is broken (and
I'm too lazy to fix it)

CHECK_DEPS bugs:

* If there's an || dep, selects both for stabilization
* Does not handle the case where use-flags are package.use.masked on
some arch other than the one you're running the script on
- Script logic is fundamentally broken for this
* Can duplicate atoms sometimes (happens when more than one version
gets pulled in by a dependency)

Patches for fixing these bugs are welcome

PS: yes, I know the script's logic is extremely spaghetti. It works
for most cases, so I never rewrote it.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team
 
Old 02-14-2011, 04:52 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
 
Default RFC: package.keywords-compatible snippets when stabilizing multiple packages

On 2/14/11 3:07 PM, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> Same does x11 team...
> Example:
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354237
>
> I think this does not need any policy, most teams can use brains and
> fill the bugs quite conveniently

Well, that's the entire point. For the bug you cited, and - for another
example - http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353434 I can't just
copy-paste something to my package.keywords file.

The table is indeed pretty, and it has value, but I'm just asking for a
bit more convenience.

One more time, the good examples are:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=322791
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329703

Citing part of good example inline:

> Stabilization list for x86:
> ===========================
>
> =media-libs/gstreamer-0.10.29
>
> =media-libs/gst-plugins-base-0.10.29
> =media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10.29
> =media-plugins/gst-plugins-cdparanoia-0.10.29

And citing part of *bad* example inline:

> app-admin/eselect-opengl-1.2.1 alpha amd64 arm ppc ppc64 s390 x86
> media-libs/mesa-7.9.1 alpha amd64 arm ppc ppc64 x86

The *good* example can be copy-pasted to package.keywords with no
editing. The *bad* examples requires some editing, and while it can be
automated, there are different formatting conventions, etc etc so IMHO
it's not really feasible.
 
Old 02-14-2011, 05:19 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
 
Default RFC: package.keywords-compatible snippets when stabilizing multiple packages

On 2/14/11 9:13 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> And http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=349053#c1 ? I tried to
> provide a clue howto get usable p.keywords list easy.

IMHO it's in the middle. I still have to do a manual step, but at least
it's pretty straightforward. Anyway, I think a list that can be blindly
copy-pasted makes things even easier.
 
Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Samuli Suominen
 
Default RFC: package.keywords-compatible snippets when stabilizing multiple packages

On 02/14/2011 07:52 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> On 2/14/11 3:07 PM, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
>> Same does x11 team...
>> Example:
>> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354237
>>
>> I think this does not need any policy, most teams can use brains and
>> fill the bugs quite conveniently
>
> Well, that's the entire point. For the bug you cited, and - for another
> example - http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353434 I can't just
> copy-paste something to my package.keywords file.
>
> The table is indeed pretty, and it has value, but I'm just asking for a
> bit more convenience.
>
> One more time, the good examples are:
>
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=322791
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=329703
>
> Citing part of good example inline:
>
>> Stabilization list for x86:
>> ===========================
>>
>> =media-libs/gstreamer-0.10.29
>>
>> =media-libs/gst-plugins-base-0.10.29
>> =media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.10.29
>> =media-plugins/gst-plugins-cdparanoia-0.10.29
>
> And citing part of *bad* example inline:
>
>> app-admin/eselect-opengl-1.2.1 alpha amd64 arm ppc ppc64 s390 x86
>> media-libs/mesa-7.9.1 alpha amd64 arm ppc ppc64 x86
>
> The *good* example can be copy-pasted to package.keywords with no
> editing. The *bad* examples requires some editing, and while it can be
> automated, there are different formatting conventions, etc etc so IMHO
> it's not really feasible.
>

And http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=349053#c1 ? I tried to
provide a clue howto get usable p.keywords list easy.

- Samuli
 
Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 AM
Gilles Dartiguelongue
 
Default RFC: package.keywords-compatible snippets when stabilizing multiple packages

Le lundi 14 février 2011 * 19:19 +0100, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." a écrit :
> On 2/14/11 9:13 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> > And http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=349053#c1 ? I tried to
> > provide a clue howto get usable p.keywords list easy.
>
> IMHO it's in the middle. I still have to do a manual step, but at least
> it's pretty straightforward. Anyway, I think a list that can be blindly
> copy-pasted makes things even easier.
>

I don't think making a list for each arch is going to make anything any
easier for maintainers requesting stabilization, which means those list
we need more time to generate before being released. You just move the
problem to another place.

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
Gentoo
 
Old 02-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Kacper Kowalik
 
Default RFC: package.keywords-compatible snippets when stabilizing multiple packages

W dniu 14.02.2011 18:52, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." pisze:
> On 2/14/11 3:07 PM, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
>> Same does x11 team...
>> Example:
>> http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354237
>>
>> I think this does not need any policy, most teams can use brains and
>> fill the bugs quite conveniently
>
> Well, that's the entire point. For the bug you cited, and - for another
> example - http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353434 I can't just
> copy-paste something to my package.keywords file.
>
> The table is indeed pretty, and it has value, but I'm just asking for a
> bit more convenience.

bugz attachment 262031 -v | grep ' ppc ' | awk '{print "="$1}' - >>
/mnt/ppc32/etc/portage/package.keywords

bugz attachment 262031 -v | grep ' ppc64 ' | awk '{print "="$1}' - >>
/mnt/ppc64/etc/portage/package.keywords

Erhm, how more convinient it can be?
Cheers,
Kacper
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org