Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Fabian Groffen

Default Gentoo Installer (text-based)

This is a post-FOSDEM call for people with interest for a Gentoo
text-based installer.

If you are a developer, or Gentoo user, and feel like spending some time
on (possibly) creating a text-based installer for Gentoo in cooperation
with others, please contact me (off-list).

During FOSDEM, I've been asked by a developer to share efforts on a
text-based installer for Linux distributions. There is a fair share of
work already done, but for the Gentoo case, certain pieces will be
missing. I am looking for someone to take the lead in using the
existing efforts to craft a scenario for the installer that performs the
Gentoo Linux installation e.g. from the livecd.

I do not wish to start a discussion on wether or not an installer makes
sense. I do not wish to replace the installation handbook at all
either. It has been brought to my attention that an installer (that
also can be pre-configured with the right options) is useful for certain
scenarios, and I would like to give it a shot to see how easy such thing
could be provided.

The installer in mind here, would also possibly work for Gentoo Prefix
bootstraps, for which we would use a bootstrap cd.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Fabio Erculiani

What would be the main goals of this installer?
Could you elaborate a high level description of it?
As I said in the past, beside some annoying deps, anaconda already
works for Sabayon and working on a pure Gentoo module would be quite
easy. In change you get one of the most reliable graphical installer
out there. Text frontend comes for free, but nowadays, there aren't
many servers without a vesa-compatible video card or
VNC/X-over-ssh/whatever availability.

Fabio Erculiani
http://lxnay.com

Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 2/9/11 10:33 PM, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
> What would be the main goals of this installer?
> Could you elaborate a high level description of it?
> As I said in the past, beside some annoying deps, anaconda already
> works for Sabayon and working on a pure Gentoo module would be quite
> easy. In change you get one of the most reliable graphical installer
> out there. Text frontend comes for free, but nowadays, there aren't
> many servers without a vesa-compatible video card or
> VNC/X-over-ssh/whatever availability.

Oh, if we can get that installer "for free", that would sound great.

Can anaconda give the user a shell at any point of the installation? Is
it possible to manually skip the automated steps?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:43 PM
likewhoa

talk to igli on freenode as he's the author of a Gentoo based installer
named Gen2, perhaps he will be interested in this project. You can
checkout current sources at
git@213.131.245.114:gent2.git.

I hope this won't be another GLI failed project but i have faith it
won't.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 AM
Joshua Saddler

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:42:52 +0100
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Can anaconda give the user a shell at any point of the
> installation? Is it possible to manually skip the automated steps?

Last I checked, Anaconda was designed for binary installations,
originally for RPM-based systems. Trying to shove source-based
compilation into a binary installer seems like a lot of time,
trouble, and hacking. Better to start from scratch.

I hope you guys talk to releng about your CLI-based installer, if it
gets off the ground. Since we'll need to figure out what's
"supported" as an official install method. If you aren't worried
about a "canonical" way of doing things with the existing media, then
never mind. Either way, good luck.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Fabio Erculiani

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:42:52 +0100
> "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Can anaconda give the user a shell at any point of the
>> installation? Is it possible to manually skip the automated steps?
>
> Last I checked, Anaconda was designed for binary installations,
> originally for RPM-based systems. Trying to shove source-based
> compilation into a binary installer seems like a lot of time,
> trouble, and hacking. Better to start from scratch.

Anaconda doesn't depend against rpm anymore. Distro-specific bits have
to be implemented through a "backend". You can make your backend do
whatever you want.

> I hope you guys talk to releng about your CLI-based installer, if it
> gets off the ground. Since we'll need to figure out what's
> "supported" as an official install method. If you aren't worried
> about a "canonical" way of doing things with the existing media, then
> never mind. Either way, good luck.

The only way to avoid epic failures is to keep the whole thing simple,
without trying to fit everybody. An installer that would cover a
standard install, newbie-oriented scenario would be definitely good.
Experienced people won't use it anyway, so why bothering trying to
cover their needs, it would be a straight way to fail again.

--
Fabio Erculiani
http://lxnay.com

Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Fabian Groffen

On 10-02-2011 07:54:16 +0100, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
> The only way to avoid epic failures is to keep the whole thing simple,
> without trying to fit everybody. An installer that would cover a
> standard install, newbie-oriented scenario would be definitely good.
> Experienced people won't use it anyway, so why bothering trying to
> cover their needs, it would be a straight way to fail again.

Just FYI:
Interestingly, it were the power/experienced users that requested a
simple installer, because they got tired of copy&paste-ing the same
commands from the manual over and over again.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Antoni Grzymala

Fabian Groffen dixit (2011-02-10, 10:39):

> On 10-02-2011 07:54:16 +0100, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
> > The only way to avoid epic failures is to keep the whole thing simple,
> > without trying to fit everybody. An installer that would cover a
> > standard install, newbie-oriented scenario would be definitely good.
> > Experienced people won't use it anyway, so why bothering trying to
> > cover their needs, it would be a straight way to fail again.
>
> Just FYI:
> Interestingly, it were the power/experienced users that requested a
> simple installer, because they got tired of copy&paste-ing the same
> commands from the manual over and over again.

Actually power users install Gentoo from memory, it's really not much
more, than untarring two tarfiles, editing a few configs, making the
kernel and installing the bootloader.

--
[a]

Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Konstantin Tokarev

10.02.2011, 12:56, "Antoni Grzymala" <awaria@chopin.edu.pl>:
> Fabian Groffen dixit (2011-02-10, 10:39):
>
>> *On 10-02-2011 07:54:16 +0100, Fabio Erculiani wrote:
>>> *The only way to avoid epic failures is to keep the whole thing simple,
>>> *without trying to fit everybody. An installer that would cover a
>>> *standard install, newbie-oriented scenario would be definitely good.
>>> *Experienced people won't use it anyway, so why bothering trying to
>>> *cover their needs, it would be a straight way to fail again.
>> *Just FYI:
>> *Interestingly, it were the power/experienced users that requested a
>> *simple installer, because they got tired of copy&paste-ing the same
>> *commands from the manual over and over again.
>
> Actually power users install Gentoo from memory...

dd if=/dev/brain of=/dev/hda1

Konstantin

Old 02-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Antoni Grzymala

Konstantin Tokarev dixit (2011-02-10, 13:01):

> 10.02.2011, 12:56, "Antoni Grzymala" <awaria@chopin.edu.pl>:
> > Fabian Groffen dixit (2011-02-10, 10:39):

> >> *Just FYI:
> >> *Interestingly, it were the power/experienced users that requested a
> >> *simple installer, because they got tired of copy&paste-ing the same
> >> *commands from the manual over and over again.
> >
> > Actually power users install Gentoo from memory...
>
> dd if=/dev/brain of=/dev/hda1

bs=512 count=∞

--
[a]