-   -   Make "sound" a global USE flag? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/485991-make-sound-global-use-flag.html)

Ulrich Mueller 02-07-2011 06:36 AM

Make "sound" a global USE flag?

It's used by several packages as a local flag, and its meaning seems
to be similar enough.

app-editors/emacs:sound - Enable sound
app-editors/emacs-vcs:sound - Enable sound
app-misc/anki:sound - Enable support for adding sound to cards
games-arcade/tuxanci:sound - Enable sound
games-board/pysolfc:sound - Enable sound support usingdev-python/pygame
games-roguelike/angband:sound - Enable and install sounds
games-rpg/eternal-lands-data:sound - Adds in-game sound effects.
games-strategy/freeciv:sound - Add support for sound provided by media-libs/sdl-mixer
gnome-extra/gnome-games:sound - Enable sound using media-libs/libcanberra
media-libs/libcanberra:sound - Install x11-themes/sound-theme-freedesktop to get sounds on Gnome and Xfce.
net-irc/xchat-gnome:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra
net-p2p/transmission:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra
xfce-base/xfce4-settings:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra

Gilles Dartiguelongue 02-07-2011 08:53 AM

Make "sound" a global USE flag?

Le lundi 07 fťvrier 2011 ŗ 08:36 +0100, Ulrich Mueller a ťcrit :
> It's used by several packages as a local flag, and its meaning seems
> to be similar enough.
>
> app-editors/emacs:sound - Enable sound
> app-editors/emacs-vcs:sound - Enable sound
> app-misc/anki:sound - Enable support for adding sound to cards
> games-arcade/tuxanci:sound - Enable sound
> games-board/pysolfc:sound - Enable sound support usingdev-python/pygame
> games-roguelike/angband:sound - Enable and install sounds
> games-rpg/eternal-lands-data:sound - Adds in-game sound effects.
> games-strategy/freeciv:sound - Add support for sound provided by media-libs/sdl-mixer
> gnome-extra/gnome-games:sound - Enable sound using media-libs/libcanberra
> media-libs/libcanberra:sound - Install x11-themes/sound-theme-freedesktop to get sounds on Gnome and Xfce.
> net-irc/xchat-gnome:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra
> net-p2p/transmission:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra
> xfce-base/xfce4-settings:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra

any gnome packages listed here is a bug if the only pulled dependency is
libcanberra. The herd has a policy to always depend on libcanberra. It
is a lightweight library that can be build with no sound output for
those who don't like it and it saves needless USE flags.

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
Gentoo

Samuli Suominen 02-07-2011 12:15 PM

Make "sound" a global USE flag?

On 02/07/2011 09:36 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> It's used by several packages as a local flag, and its meaning seems
> to be similar enough.
>
> app-editors/emacs:sound - Enable sound
> app-editors/emacs-vcs:sound - Enable sound
> app-misc/anki:sound - Enable support for adding sound to cards
> games-arcade/tuxanci:sound - Enable sound
> games-board/pysolfc:sound - Enable sound support usingdev-python/pygame
> games-roguelike/angband:sound - Enable and install sounds
> games-rpg/eternal-lands-data:sound - Adds in-game sound effects.
> games-strategy/freeciv:sound - Add support for sound provided by media-libs/sdl-mixer
> gnome-extra/gnome-games:sound - Enable sound using media-libs/libcanberra
> media-libs/libcanberra:sound - Install x11-themes/sound-theme-freedesktop to get sounds on Gnome and Xfce.
> net-irc/xchat-gnome:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra
> net-p2p/transmission:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra
> xfce-base/xfce4-settings:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra

+1 with exception that those using USE=sound for libcanberra should be
split into it's own USE flag called USE=libcanberra
and USE=sound should be kept for the generic ones

I just added USE=sound to xfce4-settings only because other ebuilds
(gnome ones) already did, wanted to use USE=libcanberra ...

Petteri Ršty 02-07-2011 04:55 PM

Make "sound" a global USE flag?

On 02/07/2011 03:15 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:

> +1 with exception that those using USE=sound for libcanberra should be
> split into it's own USE flag called USE=libcanberra
> and USE=sound should be kept for the generic ones

libcanberra describes the means and not the results so we should try to
come up with something else.

Regards,
Petteri

Samuli Suominen 02-07-2011 05:08 PM

Make "sound" a global USE flag?

On 02/07/2011 07:55 PM, Petteri Ršty wrote:
> On 02/07/2011 03:15 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>

>> +1 with exception that those using USE=sound for libcanberra should be
>> split into it's own USE flag called USE=libcanberra
>> and USE=sound should be kept for the generic ones
>>

> libcanberra describes the means and not the results so we should try to
> come up with something else.
>
> Regards,
> Petteri

The "means" are commonly used as USE flag names with "result" in USE
flag description. Think of "gstreamer", or "xine" for example.

But I'm open to suggestions...

Unlike GNOME we have no plans in making libcanberra mandatory for
xfce4-settings as it pulls in too much bloat (like gconfd which Xfce
doesn't use).

Petteri Ršty 02-07-2011 06:48 PM

Make "sound" a global USE flag?

On 02/07/2011 08:08 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> On 02/07/2011 07:55 PM, Petteri Ršty wrote:
>> On 02/07/2011 03:15 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>>

>>> +1 with exception that those using USE=sound for libcanberra should be
>>> split into it's own USE flag called USE=libcanberra
>>> and USE=sound should be kept for the generic ones
>>>

>> libcanberra describes the means and not the results so we should try to
>> come up with something else.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Petteri
>>

> The "means" are commonly used as USE flag names with "result" in USE
> flag description. Think of "gstreamer", or "xine" for example.
>
> But I'm open to suggestions...

How about event-sounds?

"libcanberra is an implementation of the XDG Sound Theme and Name
Specifications, for generating event sounds on free desktops, such as
GNOME."

http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/libcanberra/#overview

Regards,
Petteri

Ulrich Mueller 02-12-2011 08:10 AM

Make "sound" a global USE flag?

> +1 with exception that those using USE=sound for libcanberra should
> be split into it's own USE flag called USE=libcanberra

That would be the following packages, as far as I can see:

gnome-extra/gnome-games:sound - Enable sound using media-libs/libcanberra
net-irc/xchat-gnome:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra
net-p2p/transmission:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra
xfce-base/xfce4-settings:sound - Enable sound event support with media-libs/libcanberra

I've opened bug 354585 for them.

Ulrich

Ulrich Mueller 02-22-2011 04:10 PM

Make "sound" a global USE flag?

Coming back to this. It has been suggested by ssuominen that the
"audio" flag should be united with "sound". It's used by the following
packages:

games-rpg/drascula:audio - Install optional audio files
media-libs/libsdl:audio - Control audio support (disable at your own risk)
net-libs/opal:audio - Enable audio support
net-libs/ptlib:audio - Enable audio support

Not sure if sound or audio is the better name.

There's also a "sounds" local flag which generally means "install
optional sound data". Maybe games-rpg/drascula should use this one
instead?

Ulrich

Rich Freeman 02-22-2011 04:18 PM

Make "sound" a global USE flag?

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:
> There's also a "sounds" local flag which generally means "install
> optional sound data". Maybe games-rpg/drascula should use this one
> instead?

I can vouch that eternal-lands-data uses the sound use flag in the
same way - the only difference it makes is whether it fetches and
installs a bunch of files.

Do we really need two different use flags for code-based sound support
vs file-based sound inclusion?

Ulrich Mueller 02-23-2011 05:56 AM

Make "sound" a global USE flag?

>> There's also a "sounds" local flag which generally means "install
>> optional sound data". Maybe games-rpg/drascula should use this one
>> instead?

> I can vouch that eternal-lands-data uses the sound use flag in the
> same way - the only difference it makes is whether it fetches and
> installs a bunch of files.

> Do we really need two different use flags for code-based sound
> support vs file-based sound inclusion?

Maybe it's similar enough. So, unify both "audio" and "sounds" with
the global "sound" flag?

Ulrich