Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Duncan

Default User defined license groups

Zeerak Mustafa Waseem posted on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:35:33 +0100 as
excerpted:

> I ran with ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" for a while and a few days ago I decided to
> look into the licenses the programs I'm using need and read up on them,
> then add them manually.
> I then remembered the license groups and proceeded to specify my own
> license group in /usr/portage/profiles/license_groups, first emerge -uDN
> @world worked great, all downgrades from license masking were dropped.
> But then I sync'ed my tree, and now my own group is gone.
>
> So I was wondering if there is another place to specify license groups?

Just a gentle hint. This list is for development discussion. Your
question would have been more appropriate on the general user list, or
even on the portage-specific devel list, where at least it wouldn't have
bothered all these devs, most of which work on packages other than
portage, and who I'm sure we'd both rather have spending their time fixing
bugs or doing package bumps than reading what could quickly become an
overwhelming number of questions here, if such user questions weren't
steered elsewhere. =:^(

But you've asked it here now, so might as well answer it while I'm
steering you elsewhere for next time. =:^)

One possibility, assuming you're using standard rsync for your portage
tree (not the webrsync or similar options) is to assign something like:

PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from='/etc/portage/rsync.exclude'"

then read the rsync(1) manpage and add something appropriate to the named
file (maybe start with /profiles/license_groups/yourfilename, but really,
see the manpage, as there's a reason that doesn't start with
/usr/portage). See the make.conf(5) manpage for the description of the
PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTIONS setting.

Here, I have several non-default files and subdirs in PORTDIR (including
my layman managed overlays, in the perfectly logical to me
$PORTDIR/layman/ ), that I keep from being synced using that method. That
works just fine for my purposes, so I expect it will work for yours as
well. =:^)

More directly, the portage(5) manpage says that any files found in /etc/
portage/profile/ should override files found in the tree profiles, where
necessary. I'd expect it to work for license_groups just as I know it
works for other files, and believe it would be a bug if it didn't.
However, if for whatever reason it does /not/ work, I know the
rsync.exclude functionality works as I depend on it every time I sync. =:^)

Old 02-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Zac Medico

On 02/01/2011 02:27 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 02:05:49 -0800
> Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 02/01/2011 01:35 AM, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
>>> Hey guys,
>>>
>>> I ran with ACCEPT_LICENSE="*" for a while and a few days ago I
>>> decided to look into the licenses the programs I'm using need and
>>> read up on them, then add them manually. I then remembered the
>>> license groups and proceeded to specify my own license group
>>> in /usr/portage/profiles/license_groups, first emerge -uDN @world
>>> worked great, all downgrades from license masking were dropped. But
>>> then I sync'ed my tree, and now my own group is gone.
>>>
>>> So I was wondering if there is another place to specify license
>>> groups? If not, would I go to the bugzilla and file a bug for a
>>> feature request or is there another way to go about it?
>>
>> It's possible to add license groups via an overlay, which means that
>> you can set PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${MY_OVERLAY}" in /etc/make.conf, and
>> then define your license groups in
>> ${MY_OVERLAY}/profiles/license_groups.
>>
>> You can go ahead and file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org if you'd like to
>> have support added for /etc/portage/license_groups.
>
> How about /etc/portage/profile? Won't that work?

No, because profiles/license_groups is somewhat of a misnomer since the
profiles/ directory contains profiles but it is not actual a part of any
profile.

Anyway, it turns out that /etc/portage/license_groups is already
supported, so I've added it to the man page:

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=731549e94963d808ea49c408167 cd85947e20b1d
--
Thanks,
Zac