Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Rémi Cardona

Default Stabilisation exceptions

Le 24/01/2011 13:31, Christian Faulhammer a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> over the course of the years the x86 (and other architectures as well)
> has given away permissions to maintainers/teams to mark packages
> stable themselves. As there never was a definitive list what
> exceptions exist, I compiled a list of the ones I could get from the
> top of my head in [1]. Please yell if you have those
> permissions so I can complete the list for reference purposes.

X11 has requested and was granted permission from all arch teams to
stabilize x11-misc/util-macros and all media-fonts/* (those that we are
responsible for anyhow).

There might be another 2 or 3 packages that I've forgotten but we rarely
modify them anyway...

Cheers,

Rémi

Old 01-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Markos Chandras

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 01:31:20PM +0100, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> over the course of the years the x86 (and other architectures as well)
> has given away permissions to maintainers/teams to mark packages
> stable themselves. As there never was a definitive list what
> exceptions exist, I compiled a list of the ones I could get from the
> top of my head in [1]. Please yell if you have those
> permissions so I can complete the list for reference purposes.
>
> V-Li
>
> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/x86/exceptions.xml
>
> --
> Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
> <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
>
> <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

I think it would be better if we kept a single list instead of compiling a
separate list for every arch.

Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer
Key ID: B4AFF2C2
Key FP: 660A 0742 84EC 26F1 9EDB F00A FA83 5A15 B4AF F2C2

Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 PM
"Anthony G. Basile"

On 01/24/2011 07:31 AM, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> over the course of the years the x86 (and other architectures as well)
> has given away permissions to maintainers/teams to mark packages
> stable themselves. As there never was a definitive list what
> exceptions exist, I compiled a list of the ones I could get from the
> top of my head in [1]. Please yell if you have those
> permissions so I can complete the list for reference purposes.
>
> V-Li
>
> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/x86/exceptions.xml

Hi Christian,

Along with sys-kernel/hardened-sources, we also stabilize sys-apps/gradm
because it is the userland tool for setting up RBAC in the hardened
kernel. We often need to stabilize the two at the same time.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Developer

Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>:

> On Monday, January 24, 2011 07:31:20 Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> > over the course of the years the x86 (and other architectures as
> > well) has given away permissions to maintainers/teams to mark
> > packages stable themselves. As there never was a definitive list
> > what exceptions exist, I compiled a list of the ones I could get
> > from the top of my head in [1]. Please yell if you have those
> > permissions so I can complete the list for reference purposes.
>
> how about we extend metadata.xml to avoid the "multiple data
> locations always leads to bitrot" ?

Sounds like an excellent idea. Who can add this?

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org>:
> I think it would be better if we kept a single list instead of
> compiling a separate list for every arch.

Mike's proposal sounds like the ideal solution. If one wants we can
autogenerate a list. For now I will collect it manually and move it
over once the DTD is fixed.
Can we also add a paragraph to devmanual about
exceptions or shouldn't we advertise that "feature"?

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Ryan Hill

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:31:20 +0100
Christian Faulhammer <fauli@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> over the course of the years the x86 (and other architectures as well)
> has given away permissions to maintainers/teams to mark packages
> stable themselves. As there never was a definitive list what
> exceptions exist, I compiled a list of the ones I could get from the
> top of my head in [1]. Please yell if you have those
> permissions so I can complete the list for reference purposes.
>
> V-Li
>
> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/x86/exceptions.xml

sys-libs/timezone-data
most of app-doc (ie. anything installing just docs or text)

I'd also like permission to stabilize fonts ourselves once they've cleared
amd64 and x86.

--
fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime

Old 01-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Christian Faulhammer

Hi,

Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org>:
> I'd also like permission to stabilize fonts ourselves once they've
> cleared amd64 and x86.

You can have it for x86 right away.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>

Old 01-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Matt Turner

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:11 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:31:20 +0100
> Christian Faulhammer <fauli@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> over the course of the years the x86 (and other architectures as well)
>> has given away permissions to maintainers/teams to mark packages
>> stable themselves. *As there never was a definitive list what
>> exceptions exist, I compiled a list of the ones I could get from the
>> top of my head in [1]. *Please yell if you have those
>> permissions so I can complete the list for reference purposes.
>>
>> V-Li
>>
>> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/x86/exceptions.xml
>
> sys-libs/timezone-data
> most of app-doc (ie. anything installing just docs or text)
>
> I'd also like permission to stabilize fonts ourselves once they've cleared
> amd64 and x86.
>

> --
> fonts, gcc-porting, * * * * * * * * *it makes no sense how it makes no sense
> toolchain, wxwidgets * * * * * * * * * * * * * but i'll take it free anytime
> @ gentoo.org * * * * * * * *EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662

Yeah, do whatever you want for Alpha and MIPS. I doubt anyone is going
to have any problems for any other architectures either.

Matt

Old 01-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Markos Chandras

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 05:11:56PM -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
> sys-libs/timezone-data
> most of app-doc (ie. anything installing just docs or text)
>
> I'd also like permission to stabilize fonts ourselves once they've cleared
> amd64 and x86.
>

> --
> fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
> toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
> @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662

Yes feel free to handle the amd64 keywords on fonts as you wish

Old 01-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Jeremy Olexa

over the course of the years the x86 (and other architectures as
well)

has given away permissions to maintainers/teams to mark packages
stable themselves. As there never was a definitive list what
exceptions exist, I compiled a list of the ones I could get from the
top of my head in [1]. Please yell if you have those
permissions so I can complete the list for reference purposes.

V-Li

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/x86/exceptions.xml

Probably OT, sorry. Isn't it time we gained this concept of "noarch"
for packages that only install text files or packages that don't compile
anything...

-Jeremy