Old 01-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Sebastian Pipping

Default genkernel 3.4.11.1 released

Hello!

This release fixes two bugs both affecting 3.4.11 (not earlier releases).

Bugs fixed
==========
351906 Move application of kernel config after "make mrproper" as that
deletes .config (whereas "make clean" does not)
351909 busybox 1.18.1: Return of mdstart as an applet (regression)

Special thanks go to Xake.

Thanks for your interest.

Sebastian

Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Jeroen Roovers

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:00:06 +0100
Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org> wrote:

> This release fixes two bugs both affecting 3.4.11 (not earlier
> releases).

I'm a Gentoo developer.
I've never used genkernel for private purposes.
So I don't see why you would send this to gentoo-dev@ and
gentoo-dev-announce@.

jer

Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 01/20/11 21:08, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:00:06 +0100
> Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> This release fixes two bugs both affecting 3.4.11 (not earlier
>> releases).
>
> I'm a Gentoo developer.
> I've never used genkernel for private purposes.
> So I don't see why you would send this to gentoo-dev@ and
> gentoo-dev-announce@.

I don't think a bit of extra visibility can hurt with this.

Still, I may take it off the list if another Gentoo developer seconds
that request.

Sebastian

Old 01-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Fabian Groffen

On 20-01-2011 21:34:36 +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> On 01/20/11 21:08, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> > On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:00:06 +0100
> > Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> >> This release fixes two bugs both affecting 3.4.11 (not earlier
> >> releases).
> >
> > I'm a Gentoo developer.
> > I've never used genkernel for private purposes.
> > So I don't see why you would send this to gentoo-dev@ and
> > gentoo-dev-announce@.
>
> I don't think a bit of extra visibility can hurt with this.
>
> Still, I may take it off the list if another Gentoo developer seconds
> that request.

Like Jeroen, I don't think new package releases should be announced on
these developer-related lists.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 01-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Rich Freeman

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Like Jeroen, I don't think new package releases should be announced on
> these developer-related lists.

Tend to agree, at least in general. If a genkernel upgrade impacted
multiple teams/etc, such as requiring changes to install media, or the
handbooks, etc, then I'd consider it completely fair game for the
lists. Likewise if some big change that will really impact the distro
is being considered I'd consider that fair game as well.

More routine upgrades probably don't need specific annoucements.

That said, there are some nice genkernel changes being made and I for
one appreciate them (even though I don't yet run it - the mdadm
inclusion will probably push me over the edge)!

Rich

Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 01/20/11 21:38, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> Like Jeroen, I don't think new package releases should be announced on
> these developer-related lists.

It's not about the package, it's about the release itself.
I don't send mails on package bumps I do.

Sebastian

Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Fabian Groffen

On 20-01-2011 21:47:19 +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> On 01/20/11 21:38, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > Like Jeroen, I don't think new package releases should be announced on
> > these developer-related lists.
>
> It's not about the package, it's about the release itself.
> I don't send mails on package bumps I do.

Unless if you are on some git repo, we have commit mails which can serve
this purpose very well.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 01/20/11 21:45, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Like Jeroen, I don't think new package releases should be announced on
>> these developer-related lists.
>
> Tend to agree, at least in general. If a genkernel upgrade impacted
> multiple teams/etc, such as requiring changes to install media, or the
> handbooks, etc, then I'd consider it completely fair game for the
> lists. Likewise if some big change that will really impact the distro
> is being considered I'd consider that fair game as well.

Fair point.

I'll keep posting to Planet Gentoo. How about gentoo-dev-announce?

> That said, there are some nice genkernel changes being made and I for
> one appreciate them (even though I don't yet run it - the mdadm
> inclusion will probably push me over the edge)!

If you get the chance please try genkernel-99999 (five nines) exposing
the experimental branch. That may save both of us the trouble to fix
things post release.

Best,

Sebastian

Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Jeroen Roovers

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:57:46 +0100
Sebastian Pipping <sping@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 01/20/11 21:45, Rich Freeman wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Fabian Groffen
> > <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> Like Jeroen, I don't think new package releases should be
> >> announced on these developer-related lists.
> >
> > Tend to agree, at least in general. If a genkernel upgrade impacted
> > multiple teams/etc, such as requiring changes to install media, or
> > the handbooks, etc, then I'd consider it completely fair game for
> > the lists. Likewise if some big change that will really impact the
> > distro is being considered I'd consider that fair game as well.
>
> Fair point.
>
> I'll keep posting to Planet Gentoo. How about gentoo-dev-announce?

Version bumps have no place on the dev-announce list /unless/ they
impact developers' work directly. It's described as "Gentoo
development-specific announcements list". So what you post there is
relevant to Gentoo development work. More or less like Fabian said it,
if it requires changes or else it will break the distro, that's when
you give all developers the heads-up (and not because you want to
celebrate the glory of another version release).

jer

Old 01-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 01/20/11 21:55, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> Unless if you are on some git repo, we have commit mails which can serve
> this purpose very well.

I am on a git repo, and a commit list serves a different purpose: low
level tracking of changes.

Sebastian