FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Christian Faulhammer
 
Default On hosting self-produced distfiles

Hi,

Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org>:
> first off, drop the caps crap. second, while *you* might be aware of
> a long history, you provided absolutely none in your first e-mail.
> thus it completely looked like only 1 person (you) was making a
> decision which had not been discussed with anyone else. and having
> recently been placed into QA lead, you decided to use that position
> to force everyone else to agree. again, without any discussion.

So now that all misunderstandings are cleared out and everybody agrees
that there was a failure in communication (both on sending and
receiving end), we can go on committing awesome stuff to the tree.
Thanks.

V-Li

--
Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
<URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>
 
Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM
William Hubbs
 
Default On hosting self-produced distfiles

Hi Diego,

I need a clarification on something.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 01:50:35AM +0100, Diego Elio Petten? wrote:
> If you produced the file yourself, and it doesn't matter if the file is
> reproducible (unless it is reproducible to sha512 identity), please use
> the public_html directory in your dev.gentoo.org home to host these.
> This makes sure that the file won't be deleted from all its sources if
> the ebuild is removed (or more likely replaced) from tree. Ask the Emacs
> team how "easy" has been to recover gentoo-syntax files before.

What is your feeling about projects that use tags in their source
repositories and have a way to build the tarball directly from the
repository?

e.g. for openrc, if you have a clone of the repository you can do:

git checkout [tag]
make dist

and you will have the same tarball that we released.

What about things hosted on github? I am upstream for some code hosted
there and they prefer that you do not upload source tarballs, but use
tags in your repository which will automatically be propegated to your
downloads page.

Your input would be appreciated.

William
 
Old 01-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò
 
Default On hosting self-produced distfiles

Il giorno sab, 22/01/2011 alle 10.20 -0600, William Hubbs ha scritto:
> What is your feeling about projects that use tags in their source
> repositories and have a way to build the tarball directly from the
> repository?

I have written that already: can you provide a SHA512 identity of the
file? "The same tarball" is not really sufficient.

In general, though, for Gentoo-produced distfiles the archive _will_
have to host the files, even if Git provides an "easy" way to deal with
that.

> What about things hosted on github? I am upstream for some code hosted
> there and they prefer that you do not upload source tarballs, but use
> tags in your repository which will automatically be propegated to your
> downloads page.

GitHub _used_ to be broken and provide non-stable downloads, but they
have since fixed that and the download of a tag will always have the
same SHA512 digest, so it's just fine.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
 
Old 01-30-2011, 11:48 PM
Enrico Weigelt
 
Default On hosting self-produced distfiles

* Diego Elio Petten <flameeyes@gmail.com> schrieb:

> GitHub _used_ to be broken and provide non-stable downloads, but they
> have since fixed that and the download of a tag will always have the
> same SHA512 digest, so it's just fine.

That's great. How exactly did they do that ?

IIRC one of the problems is/was that both tar and gz might not
be strictly deterministic (same input content might produce
differing tarball output) - am I wrong here ?


cu
--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/

phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de
mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 PM
"Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)"
 
Default On hosting self-produced distfiles

Hi all,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Diego Elio Petten <flameeyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to write here a clarification regarding self-produced
> distfiles, such as patchset tarballs, SCM snapshots and the like. Some
> people seem under the impression that the correct way to host these is
> to use mirror://gentoo/ and copy them on /space/distfiles-local on
> dev.g.o. Please don't do this.
>
> If you produced the file yourself, and it doesn't matter if the file is
> reproducible (unless it is reproducible to sha512 identity), please use
> the public_html directory in your dev.gentoo.org home to host these.
> This makes sure that the file won't be deleted from all its sources if
> the ebuild is removed (or more likely replaced) from tree. Ask the Emacs
> team how "easy" has been to recover gentoo-syntax files before.

So, after all that, I'm not really clear if we are enforcing this, or not.
A have a patchset. I put it in my devspace as suggested here. Is this
right or should I still use the mirror://gentoo as the devmanual
suggests?

Thanks,

--
Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)
Gentoo Developer
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org