Old 01-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Lars Wendler

Default app-emulation/virtualbox-ose got renamed to app-emulation/virtualbox

Hi folks,

with Oracle releasing virtualbox-4.0.0 they changed their proprietary stuff
which was formerly only available in the app-emulation/virtualbox-bin package
into extensions which can also be used by the source-based 4.0.0 ebuild when
you enable the "extensions" USE flag or install app-emulation/virtualbox-
extpack-oracle.
To reflect this new state we renamed app-emulation/virtualbox-ose packages to
app-emulation/virtualbox. The package move should be completely automatically.

Please pretty please read the elog messages when you update/install app-
emulation/virtualbox for the first time after this package move. It contains
important information!

--
Lars Wendler (Polynomial-C)
Gentoo package maintainer and bug-wrangler

Old 01-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Rich Freeman

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Please pretty please read the elog messages when you update/install app-
> emulation/virtualbox for the first time after this package move. It contains
> important information!

Shouldn't this be announced in a news message, and not a posting to
gentoo-dev. The users of virtualbox and the readers of
gentoo-dev-announce are not the same set.

Said news announcement should of course be rebroadcast when it hits stable.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Tomáš Chvátal

Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Rich Freeman

2011/1/7 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org>:
> And news items are supposed to be done when something changes so
> drastically elog events does not sufice.
>
> elog "IMPORTANT!"
> elog "If you upgrade from app-emulation/virtualbox-ose make sure to run"
> elog ""env-update" as root and logout and relogin as the user you wish"
> elog "to run ${PN} as."
>
> ^ i dont think this is so drastic for news item

Sure, but then why send it to -dev let alone -dev-announce?

I hadn't read the elog - it just seemed like there shouldn't be many
cases where an announcement to the USERS of a package should go to
-dev-announce and not in a news message.

Now, if virtualbox-ose had a ton of reverse dependencies and we wanted
to mobilize devs to fix them in prep for the name change, that would
be different.

Bottom line is that if the goal is to let users of a package know
about a change, -dev-announce is neither sufficient nor on-topic. At
least, that's my thinking...

RIch

Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Jeremy Olexa