Old 12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Enrico Weigelt

Default Deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1?

* Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> after approval of EAPI 4, there are now 5 different EAPIs available,
> and it's hard to remember what features are offered by which EAPI.
>
> So maybe it's about time that we deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1 for new
> ebuilds. As a first step, a warning could be added to repoman that
> would be triggered whenever a new ebuild with an EAPI less than 2 is
> committed.

Is there a way to scan automatically for ebuilds with older EAPIs
w/o actually running emerge ? Is grep'ing sufficient ?

Just hacked up a little scan script ... see attachement.

> At a later time, the warning could be changed to an error. When most
> of the tree has been updated to EAPI 2 or newer, we could also think
> about actively converting the remaining ebuilds. (Currently this
> doesn't look feasible though, as about half of the tree is still at
> EAPI=0. [1])

IMHO, when an EAPI is declared depcreated, new or changed ebuilds
should not use it anymore. Deprecation should not happen as long
as base packages still use it.

cu

phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de
mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666

Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Enrico Weigelt

* Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> schrieb:

Sorry, forgot the attachement ;-o

phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de
mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
#!/bin/bash

TREE=/usr/portage

warn_eapi_missing() {
echo "$1: missing EAPI= line"
true
}

warn_eapi_unquoted() {
echo "$1: EAPI= line not quoted"
true
}

warn_eapi_deprecated() {
echo "$1: EAPI $2 deprecated"
true
}

check_eapi() {
while read f ; do
if ! grep "EAPI=" $f >/dev/null ; then
warn_eapi_missing "$f"
elif ! grep "EAPI="" $f >/dev/null ; then
warn_eapi_unquoted "$f"
elif grep -E "EAPI=(0|"0")" $f >/dev/null; then
warn_eapi_deprecated "$f" 0
elif grep -e "EAPI=(1|"1")" $f >/dev/null; then
warn_eapi_deprecated "$f" 1
# elif grep -E "EAPI=(2|"2")" $f >/dev/null; then
# warn_eapi_deprecated "$f" 2
# elif grep -E "EAPI=(3|"3")" $f >/dev/null; then
# warn_eapi_deprecated "$f" 3
# elif grep -E "EAPI=(4|"4")" $f >/dev/null; then
# warn_eapi_deprecated "$f" 4
else
true
fi
done
}

find $TREE -name "*.ebuild" | check_eapi

Old 12-31-2010, 02:46 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 12/31/10 12:13 PM, Petteri Räty wrote:
> EAPI 0 might stick around for quite a while but for example deprecating
> EAPI 1 shouldn't be as hard.

That seems also to be a safe first step. EAPI-1 ebuilds were at least
written with EAPIs in mind. That's obviously not true for EAPI-0.

We could even deprecate EAPI-2 in favor of EAPI-3, hmmm....

I think a repoman non-fatal warning would be fine. If we have a warning
about forcing -j1, we can surely have one about ancient EAPIs.

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.

P.S. I'm excited to see the progress with PMS and new EAPIs being more
and more convenient and addressing frequent annoyances or deficiencies!

Old 12-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Brian Harring

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 03:57:21PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> schrieb:
>
> Sorry, forgot the attachement ;-o

This doesn't pick up eclasses, fails on EAPI='1', and generally, isn't
the best way- use proper tools please, they exist for a reason.

Quick scan of the tree via `pinspect eapi_usage`, the percentile is
eapi: '0' 13934 pkgs found, 50.43% of the repository
eapi: '2' 8679 pkgs found, 31.41% of the repository
eapi: '3' 4432 pkgs found, 16.04% of the repository
eapi: '1' 583 pkgs found, 2.11% of the repository

Considering eapi1 basically just added slot deps... honestly I'd
deprecate it in favor of 2.

If you want a breakdown of the eapi per cpv, use
pquery --raw --repo /path/to/your/rsync --all --attr eapi

~harring

Old 12-31-2010, 04:53 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Friday, December 31, 2010 06:02:32 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> So maybe it's about time that we deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1 for new
> ebuilds. As a first step, a warning could be added to repoman that
> would be triggered whenever a new ebuild with an EAPI less than 2 is
> committed.

personally, i dont see a problem here. what actual burden is there for
continuing supporting EAPI 0/1 ? i dont think we should go around deprecating
things for the pure fun of it.
-mike

Old 12-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Jeroen Roovers

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 12:02:32 +0100
Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:

> So maybe it's about time that we deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1 for new
> ebuilds. As a first step, a warning could be added to repoman that
> would be triggered whenever a new ebuild with an EAPI less than 2 is
> committed.

I don't see a reason to deprecate an EAPI, unless you are out to stop a
specific feature from being used that was introduced in a later EAPI
and breaks the earlier EAPI. Those ebuilds should be converted or
otherwise taken care of, but it still wouldn't deprecate the older
EAPI as a whole.

jer

Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 PM
Rich Freeman

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> personally, i dont see a problem here. *what actual burden is there for
> continuing supporting EAPI 0/1 ? *i dont think we should go around deprecating
> things for the pure fun of it.
> -mike

I tend to agree, unless of course the maintainers of the various
package managers chime in and say that some aspect of some particular
EAPI requires them to maintain a lot of legacy code. Then I'd be all
for dropping some.

However, with upwards of 70%+ of the tree being pre-EAPI-3, do we
really want to go around tweaking all those ebuilds just so that they
work exactly like they already work (if we don't mess anything up)?
I'm sure lots of packages are maintainer-needed, so are we going to do
a massive removal of otherwise-working packages just because of their
EAPI (I"m fine with cleaning broken packages, but why touch working
ones)?

Sure, the new EAPIs are nice, and I'm sure that devs creating new
ebuilds will follow whatever is in the devmanual (which obviously
would only reference the new way of doing things) so over time things
will take care of themselves. Why force a change?

Again, if this is causing the package manager / repoman / etc
maintainers problems, then I'm fine with simplifying the landscape...

Rich

Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Chris Richards

personally, i dont see a problem here. what actual burden is there for
continuing supporting EAPI 0/1 ? i dont think we should go around deprecating
things for the pure fun of it.
-mike

I tend to agree, unless of course the maintainers of the various
package managers chime in and say that some aspect of some particular
EAPI requires them to maintain a lot of legacy code. Then I'd be all
for dropping some.

I'm not a gentoo dev, but I tend to agree here.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Later,
Gizmo

Old 12-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Ryan Hill

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 12:02:32 +0100
Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Opinions?

I don't mind a warning, but I'll tell you right now there is no way I'm
using anything other than EAPI 0 for toolchain packages. Mike might
disagree but I don't think anyone feels like rewriting and auditing
toolchain.eclass for zero benefit.

I thought there was a consensus that we wouldn't use anything other than
EAPI 0 for @system packages, but it appears python ignored that and others
followed suit.

EAPI 1 I could live without. But I think EAPI 0, being the base on which
all other EAPIs are defined, needs to stick around indefinitely.

--
fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime

Old 01-01-2011, 03:57 AM
Jeroen Roovers

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:34:03 -0600
Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I thought there was a consensus that we wouldn't use anything other
> than EAPI 0 for @system packages, but it appears python ignored that
> and others followed suit.

Oh $deity yeah.

jer