FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Alex Alexander
 
Default the bug queue has 118 bugs

Our bug queue has 118 bugs!

If you have some spare time, please help assign/sort a few bugs.

To view the bug queue, click one of the following links:
http: http://bit.ly/bsHeJt
https: http://bit.ly/8Z4xUU

Thanks!
 
Old 12-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Jeroen Roovers
 
Default the bug queue has 118 bugs

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:00:02 +0200 (EET)
Alex Alexander <wired@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Our bug queue has 118 bugs!

I am starting to wonder if this is helping. It looks like everyone now
attempts to keep it <100 on a daily basis, but not to far <100, which
means a lot of old, difficult, nasty bug reports are left unattended.
Still, I got it down to about two dozen now.


jer
 
Old 12-15-2010, 02:22 AM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default the bug queue has 118 bugs

On Tuesday, December 14, 2010 20:54:45 Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:00:02 +0200 (EET) Alex Alexander wrote:
> > Our bug queue has 118 bugs!
>
> I am starting to wonder if this is helping. It looks like everyone now
> attempts to keep it <100 on a daily basis, but not to far <100, which
> means a lot of old, difficult, nasty bug reports are left unattended.
> Still, I got it down to about two dozen now.

i think people will aim for whatever arbitrary limit is picked. so raising it
to say 200 wont help either.
-mike
 
Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Duncan
 
Default the bug queue has 118 bugs

Mike Frysinger posted on Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:22:14 -0500 as excerpted:

> On Tuesday, December 14, 2010 20:54:45 Jeroen Roovers wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:00:02 +0200 (EET) Alex Alexander wrote:
>> > Our bug queue has 118 bugs!
>>
>> I am starting to wonder if this is helping. It looks like everyone now
>> attempts to keep it <100 on a daily basis, but not to far <100, which
>> means a lot of old, difficult, nasty bug reports are left unattended.
>> Still, I got it down to about two dozen now.
>
> i think people will aim for whatever arbitrary limit is picked. so
> raising it to say 200 wont help either.

Agreed.

Which begs the question[1], why not take the opportunity to lower it?

The notices have been demonstrated to be able to keep it to ~100 bugs, but
IIRC that was a rather arbitrarily picked number, according to the
previous discussion thread.

Now that the number is/was ~24, what about lowering that to say 50 before
it hits that, and then by say one a day to some number deemed not to let
bugs languish, probably not lower than 2-3 average days worth, however,
given the warning period of once per day. (I've no idea what the filings
per day is, 50 obviously assumes <25.)

If the script could be improved to give the date and bug number (maybe
with title/summary?) of the oldest unassigned one as well, and trigger a
warning if it were more than, say, three days old, as well as by queue
length, that might be nice, too. However I recognize that's easy to say
given I'm not coding it.

---
[1] Yeah, I know. I'm using the term in the rhetorical personification
sense, not the historical/legal sense.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
 
Old 12-15-2010, 11:25 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
 
Default the bug queue has 118 bugs

On 12/15/10 2:54 AM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> I am starting to wonder if this is helping. It looks like everyone now
> attempts to keep it <100 on a daily basis, but not to far <100, which
> means a lot of old, difficult, nasty bug reports are left unattended.
> Still, I got it down to about two dozen now.

I was just wondering... did you get any e-mails from people who would
like to become Bug Wranglers? The main problem seems that the team is
understaffed, so we can't really fix the problem without recruiting more
people.

By the way, we have a nice team of arch and herd testers - how about
encouraging them to wrangle some bugs?

Paweł
 
Old 12-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Matt Turner
 
Default the bug queue has 118 bugs

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:25 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
<phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:
> By the way, we have a nice team of arch and herd testers - how about
> encouraging them to wrangle some bugs?

Yeah, I just came here to say this. One certainly doesn't need to have
completed the developer quizzes to sort bugs.

Matt
 
Old 12-15-2010, 03:36 PM
ross smith
 
Default the bug queue has 118 bugs

If the script could be improved to give the date and bug number (maybe

with title/summary?) of the oldest unassigned one as well, and trigger a

warning if it were more than, say, three days old, as well as by queue

length, that might be nice, too. *However I recognize that's easy to say

given I'm not coding it.

I certainly think that making it easier for people receiving the emails to get to the bugs would increase the number of people willing to work on wrangling. * Maybe even just a link to the query that generates the trigger for the emails?*


-Ross
 
Old 12-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Alex Legler
 
Default the bug queue has 118 bugs

On 12/15/10 1:16 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Mike Frysinger posted on Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:22:14 -0500 as excerpted:
>
>> On Tuesday, December 14, 2010 20:54:45 Jeroen Roovers wrote:
>>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:00:02 +0200 (EET) Alex Alexander wrote:
>>>> Our bug queue has 118 bugs!
>>>
>>> I am starting to wonder if this is helping. It looks like everyone now
>>> attempts to keep it <100 on a daily basis, but not to far <100, which
>>> means a lot of old, difficult, nasty bug reports are left unattended.
>>> Still, I got it down to about two dozen now.
>>
>> i think people will aim for whatever arbitrary limit is picked. so
>> raising it to say 200 wont help either.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Which begs the question[1], why not take the opportunity to lower it?
>

Just be careful:
That will result in more emails, and in people getting annoyed by them
putting filters on them, resulting in less people reading such emails,
which will result in more open bugs, and more emails, repeat ad infinitum.

Besides from that, I still don't really know why these things have to
appear on our technical mailinglist.

Alex
 
Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Maciej Mrozowski
 
Default the bug queue has 118 bugs

On Wednesday 15 of December 2010 17:03:12 Matt Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:25 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
>
> <phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > By the way, we have a nice team of arch and herd testers - how about
> > encouraging them to wrangle some bugs?
>
> Yeah, I just came here to say this. One certainly doesn't need to have
> completed the developer quizzes to sort bugs.

Well, before I became developer, I had a quite unproductive discussion on IRC
with Jeroen on that matter (jer opting for status quo and telling me I have no
idea what bug wrangling is :P)

It all started by Yngwin's post:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-702248-highlight-contributions.html

Some ideas were proposed such as lowering requirements for bug wranglers or
recruiting them as staff (so bypassing ebuild quizzes).

--
regards
MM
 
Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Dale
 
Default the bug queue has 118 bugs

Maciej Mrozowski wrote:

On Wednesday 15 of December 2010 17:03:12 Matt Turner wrote:


On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:25 PM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

<phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:


By the way, we have a nice team of arch and herd testers - how about
encouraging them to wrangle some bugs?


Yeah, I just came here to say this. One certainly doesn't need to have
completed the developer quizzes to sort bugs.


Well, before I became developer, I had a quite unproductive discussion on IRC
with Jeroen on that matter (jer opting for status quo and telling me I have no
idea what bug wrangling is :P)

It all started by Yngwin's post:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-702248-highlight-contributions.html

Some ideas were proposed such as lowering requirements for bug wranglers or
recruiting them as staff (so bypassing ebuild quizzes).




Well, I would be willing to get my feet wet at least. I'm disabled and
been using Gentoo since the 1.4 days. If someone would be willing to
put up with a few screw ups I would make, I could give it a go. If I
really suck at it, you can kick me out. ;-) No hard feelings. I'm
not sure how much I can do but maybe enough to help some at least.


Someone is going to have to explain what I would be doing tho. That or
a really smoking hot link to explain it all.


< dale signs his last will >

Dale

:-) :-)
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org