Old 12-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Petteri Räty

Default Technical talk ideas for FOSDEM

I tried getting input for talks from gentoo-user but so far there have
been no responses. Currently there aren't that many talks proposed for
the distribution miniconf so it should be easy to get purely Gentoo
related topics in. So what kind of Gentoo related talks would you like
to see and possibly would attend at FOSDEM? Please present your ideas
and I will then try and find speakers + get them submitted.

Regards,
Petteri

Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Markos Chandras

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 10:50:55PM +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
> I tried getting input for talks from gentoo-user but so far there have
> been no responses. Currently there aren't that many talks proposed for
> the distribution miniconf so it should be easy to get purely Gentoo
> related topics in. So what kind of Gentoo related talks would you like
> to see and possibly would attend at FOSDEM? Please present your ideas
> and I will then try and find speakers + get them submitted.
>
> Regards,
> Petteri

Hi Petteri,

I would be interested in a topic related to the current status of the
project. Are we in the same state that we used to be e.g. 4 years ago?
If yes, what is our future strategy and plans? If no, why? Which areas
are our weakest link? Why we are not as "strong" as we used to be?
I do not want to attent another presentation
saying "ye ye use flags, optimization, cflags etc". I am looking for a
more realistic and abstract approach for the project overall.

--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 12-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Roy Bamford

On 2010.12.12 21:05, Markos Chandras wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 10:50:55PM +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
> > I tried getting input for talks from gentoo-user but so far there
> have
> > been no responses. Currently there aren't that many talks proposed
> for
> > the distribution miniconf so it should be easy to get purely Gentoo
> > related topics in. So what kind of Gentoo related talks would you
> like
> > to see and possibly would attend at FOSDEM? Please present your
> ideas
> > and I will then try and find speakers + get them submitted.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Petteri
> >
> Hi Petteri,
>
> I would be interested in a topic related to the current status of the
> project. Are we in the same state that we used to be e.g. 4 years
> ago?
> If yes, what is our future strategy and plans? If no, why? Which
> areas
> are our weakest link? Why we are not as "strong" as we used to be?
> I do not want to attent another presentation
> saying "ye ye use flags, optimization, cflags etc". I am looking for
> more realistic and abstract approach for the project overall.
>
> --
> Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
> Gentoo Linux Developer
> Web: http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org
> Key ID: 441AC410
> Key FP: AAD0 8591 E3CD 445D 6411 3477 F7F7 1E8E 441A C410

Markos,

Interesting - How can you address future strategy and plans without
addressing Gentoos meta structure too. It could not be a purely
technical talk ... but thats what interests me.

It might be very Gentoo specific though.

Roy Bamford
(Neddyseagoon) a member of
gentoo-ops
forum-mods
trustees

Old 12-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Petteri Räty

On 12/13/2010 11:00 PM, Roy Bamford wrote:

> Markos,
>
> Interesting - How can you address future strategy and plans without
> addressing Gentoos meta structure too. It could not be a purely
> technical talk ... but thats what interests me.

There's no restriction for the talks to be technical but since I posted
on gentoo-dev I thought I would keep this thread more in the technical
domain.

> It might be very Gentoo specific though.

There's no requirement for all the talks to apply to multiple
distributions so being Gentoo specific is not a problem. Of course it
should attend some audience too to be useful.

Regards,
Petteri