Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Andrea Conti

Default install media and USB debugging

Hi,

(First of all: I'm not sure this list is the right place to ask. If it
is not, feel free to point me in the right direction)

Is there a specific reason why the kernel on the install media is built
with CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG=y ? This has the nasty side-effect of
completely overwriting the kernel log buffer with junk when booting from
a USB cdrom drive.

I don't think debugging usb-storage is something you would usually carry
out with install media. On the other hand, this pretty much requires
attaching an ATA cdrom drive to the machine if you need to take a look
at any part of the boot log while installing (try that with a netbook,
or a rack-mounted server!)

Andrea

Old 12-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Roy Bamford

On 2010.12.11 09:26, Andrea Conti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (First of all: I'm not sure this list is the right place to ask. If
> it
>
> is not, feel free to point me in the right direction)
>
> Is there a specific reason why the kernel on the install media is
> built
> with CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG=y ? This has the nasty side-effect of
> completely overwriting the kernel log buffer with junk when booting
> from
> a USB cdrom drive.
[snip]

> Andrea

Andrea,

Please file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org
That will get into the right developers work queue

Roy Bamford
(Neddyseagoon) a member of
gentoo-ops
forum-mods