Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Michał Górny

Default net-im/ekg2 and the ssl/openssl/gnutls flags

Hello,

I'd like to ask for an advice related to net-im/ekg2 ebuild. I would
like to switch the ebuilds there to use the primary autotools build
system for the package, and the last thing on my to-do list is adding
a 'ssl' flag to the package.

The package consists of a core application and a set of plugins which
are built in a single run and build of which can't be easily separated
from the core application build (and I'd like to avoid forcing upstream
to split it).

The package configure scripts checks for both GnuTLS and OpenSSL
as a SSL backend. However, the use of a particular backend is
plugin-specific.

In particular, both Jabber and remote plugins support using either
GnuTLS or OpenSSL as the SSL backend. If both are available (enabled),
GnuTLS is preferred and used. On the other hand, the IRC plugin
supports OpenSSL only, and the sim plugin relies on OpenSSL.

In other words, the preferred complete build of ekg2 requires both
gnutls and openssl. However, all of the features should work fine with
openssl itself as well.

Right now, the ebuild uses 'gnutls' and 'openssl' flags to control
enabling each of the backends. To simplify that for the user, I'd like
to add a 'ssl' flag as well. The question is -- how should that flag
behave, taking care of the situation I described above?

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Il giorno mer, 01/12/2010 alle 22.30 +0100, Michał Górny ha scritto:

> In other words, the preferred complete build of ekg2 requires both
> gnutls and openssl. However, all of the features should work fine with
> openssl itself as well.

There is a simple first question to ask here. Does it use pure GnuTLS or
the GnuTLS-OpenSSL glue layer? If the latter, then you either build it
to only use one, or you're going to hit symbol collisions which are no
fun to debug.

In general, as much as I like to allow alternatives, I'd suggest you to
pick a stand, and since OpenSSL is the lowest common denominator, I'd
suggest you pick that one. But for sure there will be people complaining
about licensing…

How feasible would be to get upstream to implement GnuTLS support on the
remaining plugins?

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/

Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Michał Górny

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:44:45 +0100
Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Il giorno mer, 01/12/2010 alle 22.30 +0100, Michał Górny ha scritto:
> >
> > In other words, the preferred complete build of ekg2 requires both
> > gnutls and openssl. However, all of the features should work fine
> > with openssl itself as well.
> >
> There is a simple first question to ask here. Does it use pure GnuTLS
> or the GnuTLS-OpenSSL glue layer? If the latter, then you either
> build it to only use one, or you're going to hit symbol collisions
> which are no fun to debug.

Pure GnuTLS.

> In general, as much as I like to allow alternatives, I'd suggest you
> to pick a stand, and since OpenSSL is the lowest common denominator,
> I'd suggest you pick that one. But for sure there will be people
> complaining about licensing…

Well, I thought about having 'ssl' to enable SSL support through
OpenSSL and 'gnutls' to enable GnuTLS for the plugins supporting it.
Then, logically, 'openssl' flag would be useful no more but wouldn't
that imply exceeding the meaning of the 'ssl' flag?

> How feasible would be to get upstream to implement GnuTLS support on
> the remaining plugins?

For the IRC plugin, it's pretty possible. For the sim plugin, I think
it would be much harder.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Il giorno mer, 01/12/2010 alle 22.51 +0100, Michał Górny ha scritto:

> Pure GnuTLS.

That's good, so what about this?

jabber? ( ssl? ( !gnutls ( openssl ) gnutls? ( gnutls ) )
irc? ( ssl? ( openssl ) )

Use a couple of variables to avoid repeating the three-way (all-off ssl
on, ssl-and-gnutls on) conditional, and it should be the easiest…