Old 12-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Default Maintainer notes in metadata.xml?

Hi all,

I was wondering if we have space already, or if others would feel
strongly about making space for, maintainer notes in packages'
metadata.xml.

I ask this because I was looking through some crypto based packages that
require specific hardware that seems to have been maintained "at eye
level" for quite a while, such as pcsc-lite.

In this case, pcsc-lite has changed more than a few times its API, since
it tries to follow what Microsoft implements in Windows, and as such the
packages depending on it needed to actually follow closely. So for
instance, for pcsc-lite 1.6.1 you need ccid 1.3.1, while for pcsc-lite
1.6.4 you need ccid 1.4.0 – older versions of ccid will fail with modern
versions of pcsc-lite – but both eye-maintainers and arch teams didn't
know that and while we _had_ a broken stable tree for x86 and amd64, we
_still_ have broken stable trees for ppc/ppc64.

What I'm thinking of is having some sort of <maintainernotes> element,
but not a passive one that has to be tested for, rather something that
repoman would spit out on the terminal when doing a scan/full.

Comments?

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/

Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Diego Elio Petten <flameeyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if we have space already, or if others would feel
> strongly about making space for, maintainer notes in packages'
> metadata.xml.

[snip]

> What I'm thinking of is having some sort of <maintainernotes> element,
> but not a passive one that has to be tested for, rather something that
> repoman would spit out on the terminal when doing a scan/full.
>
> Comments?

Why don't we just encourage maintainers to add <!-- --> comments to
metadata.xml? I'd love to have a new element if the data to be stored
in that element would need to be parsed/categorized by external
programs, but otherwise xml comments would work just fine.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team