Old 11-28-2010, 11:26 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

Default Python 2.7 status check?

Presently in package.mask, we have this entry:

# Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <arfrever@gentoo.org> (04 Jul 2010)
# Python 2.7 masked until sufficient number of reverse dependencies is fixed.
~dev-lang/python-2.7

Well Python 2.7.1 was committed today, and does NOT match this mask, so are all
of the reverse deps fixed?

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 AM

2010-11-29 01:26:19 Robin H. Johnson napisał(a):
> Presently in package.mask, we have this entry:
>
> # Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <arfrever@gentoo.org> (04 Jul 2010)
> # Python 2.7 masked until sufficient number of reverse dependencies is fixed.
> ~dev-lang/python-2.7
>
> Well Python 2.7.1 was committed today, and does NOT match this mask, so are all
> of the reverse deps fixed?

Sufficient number of reverse dependencies is fixed. Almost all remaining open bugs are about
problems specific to test suites.

Sebastian Pipping recently removed automatic upgrade of active version of Python, so
python-2.7.1.ebuild does not upgrade active version of Python.

--
Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis

Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Dirkjan Ochtman

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 02:35, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
<Arfrever@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Sebastian Pipping recently removed automatic upgrade of active version of Python, so
> python-2.7.1.ebuild does not upgrade active version of Python.

But we still upgrade from 2.7 to 2.7.1 automatically, right?

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Old 11-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Graham Murray

Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@gentoo.org> writes:

> 2010-11-29 01:26:19 Robin H. Johnson napisał(a):
> Sebastian Pipping recently removed automatic upgrade of active version of Python, so
> python-2.7.1.ebuild does not upgrade active version of Python.

Sorry, but on one of my ~x86 systems the installation of python-2.7.1
DID update the active python version to 2.7. Worse than that, now
python-updater is running it is removing all of the
usr/lib/python-2.6/site-packages/ files and for multi-version aware
packages only building for python-2.7 & 3.1, it is NOT building for
python-2.6.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Patrick Lauer

On 11/29/10 10:30, Graham Murray wrote:
> Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@gentoo.org> writes:
>
>> 2010-11-29 01:26:19 Robin H. Johnson napisał(a):
>> Sebastian Pipping recently removed automatic upgrade of active version of Python, so
>> python-2.7.1.ebuild does not upgrade active version of Python.
>
> Sorry, but on one of my ~x86 systems the installation of python-2.7.1
> DID update the active python version to 2.7.

I can confirm that unexpected behaviour.
Just updating to 2.7.1 (and simultaneously 3.1.3, although that should
be unrelated) switched to 2.7 as default, which I definitely did not ask
for.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 AM
justin

On 29/11/10 10:36, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> On 11/29/10 10:30, Graham Murray wrote:
>> Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@gentoo.org> writes:
>>
>>> 2010-11-29 01:26:19 Robin H. Johnson napisał(a):
>>> Sebastian Pipping recently removed automatic upgrade of active version of Python, so
>>> python-2.7.1.ebuild does not upgrade active version of Python.
>>
>> Sorry, but on one of my ~x86 systems the installation of python-2.7.1
>> DID update the active python version to 2.7.
>
> I can confirm that unexpected behaviour.

+1 and I don't like that!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Sebastian Pipping

On 11/29/10 02:35, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis wrote:
> Sebastian Pipping recently removed automatic upgrade of active version of Python, so
> python-2.7.1.ebuild does not upgrade active version of Python.

The ebuilds you just added for 2.7.1 and 3.1.3 do contain
eselect_python_update() and calls to it.

I suppose that happened by mistake and removed eselect_python_update()
on these ebuilds, too. They are in CVS now, mirrors take extra time.

Sebastian

Old 11-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Sebastian Pipping

On 11/29/10 10:07, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 02:35, Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis
> <Arfrever@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Sebastian Pipping recently removed automatic upgrade of active version of Python, so
>> python-2.7.1.ebuild does not upgrade active version of Python.
>
> But we still upgrade from 2.7 to 2.7.1 automatically, right?

Yes, because that's the same slot (slot "2.7").

Sebastian

Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Sebastian Pipping

On 11/29/10 10:30, Graham Murray wrote:
> Sorry, but on one of my ~x86 systems the installation of python-2.7.1
> DID update the active python version to 2.7. Worse than that, now
> python-updater is running it is removing all of the
> usr/lib/python-2.6/site-packages/ files and for multi-version aware
> packages only building for python-2.7 & 3.1, it is NOT building for
> python-2.6.

Sorry to hear. Please put a line like

USE_PYTHON="2.6 2.7 3.1"

into /etc/make.conf. It sounded like that's the versions you want.

Best,

Sebastian

Old 11-29-2010, 11:24 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 11/29/10 12:45 PM, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Sorry to hear. Please put a line like
>
> USE_PYTHON="2.6 2.7 3.1"
>
> into /etc/make.conf. It sounded like that's the versions you want.

Is that documented anywhere? I couldn't find it easily on gentoo.org in
the docs.

Paweł