Old 11-23-2010, 05:16 AM
Mike Frysinger

Default Cobra as a Python replacement for portage infra...

dont hijack threads. write a new e-mail from scratch rather than picking some
random e-mail and hitting "reply" and deleting all the text.
-mike

Old 11-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Branko Badrljica

Hi to all,

I am sorry if I'm wasting bandwidth on gentoo-dev with this, but I have
found no good answere elsewhere.

I have accidentally stumbled on Codelite ( at the first glance ) _great_
IDE for C/C++/Python ( www.codelite.org).

While toying with its settings for various language syntaxes, I have
glanced at Language named Cobra.

Since "emerge -s cobra" gave me nothing, I took a peek at:
www.cobra-language.org.

It seems interesting- compiled Python-like language, that is speedwise
much closer to C++ than to Python, static/dynamic binding, optional
static variable typing etc...

My question is, could existing Portage infrastructure be ported to such
language with minimal effort and would it be worthwile to even try ?

There are many operations that now take portage ages to complete, so it
seems that this could be benefitial...

Has anyone of Pythonistas tried to give Cobra a look or two ?

Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 AM
Branko Badrljica

Erm, link is http://cobra-language.com

Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 AM
Dirkjan Ochtman

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 09:52, Branko Badrljica <brankob@avtomatika.com> wrote:
> My question is, could existing Portage infrastructure be ported to such
> language with minimal effort and would it be worthwile to even try ?

I'm guessing not.

> There are many operations that now take portage ages to complete, so it
> seems that this could be benefitial...

It seems unlikely that just porting Portage to another language would
yield a faster implementation soon. Instead, one should focus on
identifying bottlenecks in Portage and look at ways to solve them. And
if you really want a faster language implementation, maybe look into
Unladen Sparrow (slated to be merged into Python 3.3) or PyPy.

> Has anyone of Pythonistas tried to give Cobra a look or two ?

No. And I don't really think this question is very on-topic for gentoo-dev.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 AM
René 'Necoro' Neumann

Am 23.11.2010 09:52, schrieb Branko Badrljica:

> My question is, could existing Portage infrastructure be ported to such
> language with minimal effort and would it be worthwile to even try ?
>
> There are many operations that now take portage ages to complete, so it
> seems that this could be benefitial...

Don't forget, that Cobra compiles to C# which then is compiled to .NET
CLI. I don't think, that anyone here feels really good about having the
core package of Gentoo to require Mono.

> Has anyone of Pythonistas tried to give Cobra a look or two ?

One and a half year ago, yes. Looked nice, but the language then was
still in a flow, and I didn't get used to mono and all the 'what
libraries is he going to use from where?' stuff.

I then even tried to make an ebuild, but this didn't work out. Might be
different now.

- Necoro

Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Branko Badrljica

( reposted as a new thread. Sorry for inconvenience.)

IDE for C/C++/Python ( http://www.codelite.org ).

www.cobra-language.com

Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Branko Badrljica

S, René 'Necoro' Neumann piše:

Don't forget, that Cobra compiles to C# which then is compiled to .NET
CLI. I don't think, that anyone here feels really good about having the
core package of Gentoo to require Mono.

Uh. I didn't know that. I've read only that it gets compiled into
bytecode, which is then compiled into native code.
It seemed convoluted, but what the heck, I figured it still beats
classic interpreter.

I didn't know it uses Mono etc.

In that case, forget that I asked - this thing seems awkward from more
than one angle...

Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Sebastian Pipping

On 11/23/10 11:43, Branko Badrljica wrote:
> I figured it still beats classic interpreter.

Have you compared to optimized Python byte code, i.e. .pyo files?

Sebastian