Old 11-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Ryan Hill

Default GCC 4.5 unmasking tomorrow

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:59:25 +0100
Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > Users unmasking toolchain packages need to be paying close attention
> > to what's going on behind the scenes. They're in the tree for people
> > who know what they're doing to test. Even unmasked, toolchain
> > revbumps are expensive and we do them only when absolutely necessary.
>
> I think users would appreciate it if you mentioned that in the mask
> message. Just for the future.

# Mark Loeser <halcy0n@gentoo.org> (24 Apr 2010)
# Masked for testing. Only use this version of gcc if you know what you are
# doing
=sys-devel/gcc-4.5*

--
fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime

Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Saturday, November 20, 2010 21:57:21 Ryan Hill wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 01:38:23 +0200 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > On 11/21/2010 12:46 AM, Ryan Hill wrote:
> > > I'm unmasking sys-devel/gcc-4.5.1 tomorrow. I'd like to recommend
> > > everyone who has already unmasked it to rebuild it now as there has
> > > been some important patches added recently (see ChangeLog).
> >
> > revbump?
>
> We don't do revbumps on masked toolchain packages.

well, not quite. the way we agreed in the past was to not revbump the masked
package, but once it was unmasked, we revbump it just once at that point.
-mike

Old 11-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Duncan

Mike Frysinger posted on Sun, 21 Nov 2010 14:57:50 -0500 as excerpted:

> well, not quite. the way we agreed in the past was to not revbump the
> masked package, but once it was unmasked, we revbump it just once at
> that point.

User-side ++

Old 11-22-2010, 04:32 AM
spinugio

is emerging sys-devel/gcc-4.5.1-r1 enough?

thanks!
-alessandro-
*Here i am, A young man,
*A crashing computer program,
*Here is a pen, write out my name.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Ryan Hill

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:32:30 -0800
spinugio <spinugio@gmail.com> wrote:

> is emerging sys-devel/gcc-4.5.1-r1 enough?

Yep.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Graham Murray

Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> writes:

> well, not quite. the way we agreed in the past was to not revbump the masked
> package, but once it was unmasked, we revbump it just once at that point.

Is there somewhere which tells users when there are upgrades to
toolchain packages which are not revbumped once they have been unmasked
and in ~arch?

A case in point, glibc-2.12.1-r3. When I rebuilt this following the
merging of linux-headers-2.6.36, the rebuilt downloaded about 700K of
patches.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday, November 23, 2010 01:36:15 Graham Murray wrote:
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> writes:
> > well, not quite. the way we agreed in the past was to not revbump the
> > masked package, but once it was unmasked, we revbump it just once at
> > that point.
>
> Is there somewhere which tells users when there are upgrades to
> toolchain packages which are not revbumped once they have been unmasked
> and in ~arch?

if they arent revbumped, then the changes dont matter to you

> A case in point, glibc-2.12.1-r3. When I rebuilt this following the
> merging of linux-headers-2.6.36, the rebuilt downloaded about 700K of
> patches.

irrelevant to your KEYWORD
-mike

Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 AM