Old 11-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Markos Chandras

Default Change policy about live ebuilds

Hi there,

The official policy for live ebuilds is the following one:

http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/cvs-sources/index.html

I don't quite agree with this policy and I guess most of you don't agree
either looking at the number of live ebuilds/package.mask entries.

My proposal is to keep empty keywords on live ebuilds without masking
them via package.mask

Users interpret this as a 'double masking' which in fact it is since
they need to touch two files before they are able to use the package.

I also know that we can use overlays for that, but distribute the
ebuilds among dev/proj overlays is not always a solution.

--
Markos Chandras (hwoarang)
Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 11-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Alex Alexander

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:11:53PM +0000, Markos Chandras wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> The official policy for live ebuilds is the following one:
>
> http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/cvs-sources/index.html
>
> I don't quite agree with this policy and I guess most of you don't agree
> either looking at the number of live ebuilds/package.mask entries.
>
> My proposal is to keep empty keywords on live ebuilds without masking
> them via package.mask
>
> Users interpret this as a 'double masking' which in fact it is since
> they need to touch two files before they are able to use the package.

I agree. Forcing the users to add ${P} ** in their keywords is enough,
it states that "they're on their own".

> I also know that we can use overlays for that, but distribute the
> ebuilds among dev/proj overlays is not always a solution.

+1

for big projects like KDE, overlays are a better place, but for small
packages, they are overkill.

--
Alex Alexander | wired
+ Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 11-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Il giorno dom, 21/11/2010 alle 13.11 +0000, Markos Chandras ha scritto:

> My proposal is to keep empty keywords on live ebuilds without masking
> them via package.mask

The reason why many of them are in p.mask is usually because _I_ added
them there as they didn't mask with KEYWORDS="", and simply dropping
keywords would have users angry.

> Users interpret this as a 'double masking' which in fact it is since
> they need to touch two files before they are able to use the package.

Fine by me, but the problem remains that users won't know _why_ the
package is masked, way too many times.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/

Old 11-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Markos Chandras

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 03:29:10PM +0100, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Il giorno dom, 21/11/2010 alle 13.11 +0000, Markos Chandras ha scritto:
> >
> > My proposal is to keep empty keywords on live ebuilds without masking
> > them via package.mask
>
> The reason why many of them are in p.mask is usually because _I_ added
> them there as they didn't mask with KEYWORDS="", and simply dropping
> keywords would have users angry.
This is the alternative approach. Retain the keywords and mask the
package which doesn't look that safe in case you have both a normal
version and a live ebuild masked. Then users should pay extra attention
which version they unmask.

> > Users interpret this as a 'double masking' which in fact it is since
> > they need to touch two files before they are able to use the package.
>
> Fine by me, but the problem remains that users won't know _why_ the
> package is masked, way too many times.
I don't understand that. The default policy would be empty keywords. If
you need to mask a live ebuild using package.mask because e.g master
branch is terribly broken or whatever then it makes sense. But I am not
sure I understand what you are saying :-)

Old 11-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Sebastian Pipping

Diego,

On 11/21/10 15:29, Diego Elio Petten wrote:
> The reason why many of them are in p.mask is usually because _I_ added
> them there as they didn't mask with KEYWORDS="", and simply dropping
> keywords would have users angry.

Why does KEYWORDS="" on live ebuilds make users angry?

Where can I find the rest of this thread?

Where can I find documentation of the _current_ policy?

Thanks!

Sebastian