Old 11-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Matt Turner

Default IUSE="minimal" seems like a bad idea

mattst88@Sempron /usr/portage $ egrep -l 'IUSE=.*minimal' `find -name
'*.ebuild'`

^ shows lots of ebuilds with IUSE="minimal". Instead of having a
minimal use flag for these packages, shouldn't we have, possibly
local, use flags for whatever feature(s) the minimal flag turns off?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 11-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Michał Górny

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 23:44:05 -0500
Matt Turner <mattst88@gentoo.org> wrote:

> mattst88@Sempron /usr/portage $ egrep -l 'IUSE=.*minimal' `find -name
> '*.ebuild'`
>
> ^ shows lots of ebuilds with IUSE="minimal". Instead of having a
> minimal use flag for these packages, shouldn't we have, possibly
> local, use flags for whatever feature(s) the minimal flag turns off?

I used 'minimal' disable a set of additional features
(metadata.xml-clarified) not having extensive use but raising
the binary size. I think that's better than having 5 other flags doing
almost nothing (and having to be declared as +flag by default).

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 23:44:05 -0500
Matt Turner <mattst88@gentoo.org> wrote:
> mattst88@Sempron /usr/portage $ egrep -l 'IUSE=.*minimal' `find -name
> '*.ebuild'`
>
> ^ shows lots of ebuilds with IUSE="minimal". Instead of having a
> minimal use flag for these packages, shouldn't we have, possibly
> local, use flags for whatever feature(s) the minimal flag turns off?

For vim, which is where I believe the minimal flag originated, you'd
have to have twenty or thirty individual flags for the vim features in
question, and many of them are interdependent.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 11-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Duncan

Ciaran McCreesh posted on Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:34:10 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 23:44:05 -0500
> Matt Turner <mattst88@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> mattst88@Sempron /usr/portage $ egrep -l 'IUSE=.*minimal' `find -name
>> '*.ebuild'`
>>
>> ^ shows lots of ebuilds with IUSE="minimal". Instead of having a
>> minimal use flag for these packages, shouldn't we have, possibly local,
>> use flags for whatever feature(s) the minimal flag turns off?
>
> For vim, which is where I believe the minimal flag originated, you'd
> have to have twenty or thirty individual flags for the vim features in
> question, and many of them are interdependent.

The suggestion as I read it is to have, for instance, a "vim-minimal" flag
(IOW, one per package), the idea being to prevent someone from sticking
minimal in their global USE flags and having all sorts of stuff "break" as
a result.

So each package would still have its single flag, but they'd be different
for each package, to prevent "accidents" like the above.

Then again, this arguably belongs in the "you get to keep the pieces"
category...

Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Michał Górny

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:51:04 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:

> The suggestion as I read it is to have, for instance, a "vim-minimal"
> flag (IOW, one per package), the idea being to prevent someone from
> sticking minimal in their global USE flags and having all sorts of
> stuff "break" as a result.

That's pretty pointless. Most of those packages use the 'minimal' flag
in a similar fashion, and your solution simply complicates things for
users.

If you wanted to remove 'minimal' from global USE flag list -- ok, I
don't mind that. But don't require ebuild authors to use stupid names
for their local flags just because you assume some users may misuse
them.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny