Old 11-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Petteri Rty

Default News item: Dropping Java support on ia64

Any improvements to the text are welcome.

Regards,
Petteri
Title: Pending Removal of Java support in ia64
Author: Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@gentoo.org>
Author: IA64 Arch Team <ia64@gentoo.org>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Keyword: ia64
Display-If-Installed: dev-java/java-config

The IA64 arch team does not have the resources to maintain Java support so we
agreed that support will be dropped unless more man power becomes available.
If you are willing to help maintaining support please contact ia64@gentoo.org.
If there is no interest the removal of Java support well be done during week
50 of year 2010.

The removal is tracked in bug #345433.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:41 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 11/14/10 8:36 PM, Petteri Räty wrote:
> The IA64 arch team does not have the resources to maintain Java support so we
> agreed that support will be dropped unless more man power becomes available.

Could you also add the info to
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/staffing-needs/> ?

Moreover, what does dropping support mean? Are there any packages that
are not obviously java-related (i.e. not in dev-java), but will have
dropped support?

> If you are willing to help maintaining support please contact ia64@gentoo.org.
> If there is no interest the removal of Java support well be done during week
> 50 of year 2010.

IMHO a date range would be more readable than a week number.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Alistair Bush

> Any improvements to the text are welcome.

I think the following could be written clearer. Reading it made me have to
go off and check what week 50 was.

"If there is no interest the removal of Java support well be done during week
50 of year 2010."

why not say

'If there is no interest the removal of Java support well be done during the
week starting 13th Dec 2010."

(please confirm the date on that)

Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Alistair Bush <ali_bush@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Any improvements to the text are welcome.
>
> I think the following could be written clearer. * Reading it made me have to
> go off and check what week 50 was.

52 weeks in a year, so, effectively "last two weeks of the year".

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 PM