Old 11-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Daniel Black

Default RFC: dnssec root key trust anchor package

In light of the dnssec root key signing there is the issue of how to get this
into default installs of operating systems. A number of programs that are
DNSSEC aware will need access to the dnssec root key. I see this has the same
problem that app-misc/ca-certificates solved and a net-dns/dnssec root package
should be created to install the root key.

I'm thinking this should install into /etc/dnssec/ which would contain the
root key in xml and a bind format (also used by unbound) along with the certs
and keys required to verify this. (source http://data.iana.org/root-anchors/)

Looking at what other distros are doing I have only found the debian bug (
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=5;bug=594911 ) which is
solving it for one package rather than for all DNSSEC root key users.

Looking at the ICANN proposals it seems this package will be updated every 2-5
years. Managing this as a distribution package will acheive a more consistant
rollover when this occurs compared to relying on users to manage their own
dnssec root download and operations.

Am I going about this the right way or is there a better way?

Daniel