Old 11-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Matt Turner

Default Restabilizing MIPS

Hi,
I'd like to begin stabilizing packages on MIPS. I've gotten acks from
Redhatter, leio, and r0bertz, and Kumba doesn't really care.

What's the best method to go about doing this? Stabilize the system
packages, then remove ~mips from ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in the profiles?
Should we target package versions that aren't stabilized on other
architectures yet, so that we'll have an extended testing period
before they'll come up for stabilization? That is, can I plan to make
gcc-4.5.1 or something the first restabilized version of gcc, go ahead
and begin testing it, and be ready for stabilization when toolchain
requests it?

Thanks, and any advice is appreciated.

Matt

Old 11-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Stuart Longland

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 06:00:00PM -0500, Matt Turner wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to begin stabilizing packages on MIPS. I've gotten acks from
> Redhatter, leio, and r0bertz, and Kumba doesn't really care.
>
> What's the best method to go about doing this? Stabilize the system
> packages, then remove ~mips from ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in the profiles?

I'd be waiting until you can do an `emerge system` and come up with a
contemporary build without, before dropping ~mips from the profile.

At the moment, I think if you were to try it now, you'd be told it can't
be done because of packages being masked by unstable keywords.

> Should we target package versions that aren't stabilized on other
> architectures yet, so that we'll have an extended testing period
> before they'll come up for stabilization? That is, can I plan to make
> gcc-4.5.1 or something the first restabilized version of gcc, go ahead
> and begin testing it, and be ready for stabilization when toolchain
> requests it?

I'd certainly aim for the highest available version... as by the time we
get ready to keyword it, it'll be the highest stable version, perhaps
one version behind.

I've been experimenting with KDE 4.5.3 ... or rather, it was 4.5.0 and
in package.mask when I started... then I hit issues with qt-webkit that
seem to be binutils related. Now that I've got that sorted, I've only
now just got KDE built and installed... and it looks as if I'll be doing
rebuilds of it to try and chase out some bugs.

That said, don't focus all your attention on the bleeding edge, be
prepared to take a step back. At my old workplace, I recall porting
kernel git HEAD (2.6.35-rc? at the time) to an ARM platform and
experiencing various issues... I moved back to 2.6.34 and the problems
disappeared.

I'd sooner be one version back and stable, than bleeding edge and
constantly falling over.

Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL) .'.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer '.'` :
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .'.'
http://dev.gentoo.org/~redhatter :.'

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:13 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 06:00:00PM -0500, Matt Turner wrote:
> I'd like to begin stabilizing packages on MIPS. I've gotten acks from
> Redhatter, leio, and r0bertz, and Kumba doesn't really care.
Out of interest, what MIPS hardware do you have?

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org

Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Matt Turner

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 06:00:00PM -0500, Matt Turner wrote:
>> I'd like to begin stabilizing packages on MIPS. I've gotten acks from
>> Redhatter, leio, and r0bertz, and Kumba doesn't really care.
> Out of interest, what MIPS hardware do you have?

I have a Broadcom BCM91250a with a dual-core 800 MHz SiByte CPU and a
200 MHz O2 with 1 GB RAM.

See http://mattst88.com/computers/bcm91250a/ . I need to post some
pictures, but that'll have to be for later.

Matt

Old 11-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Ryan Hill

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:00:00 -0500
Matt Turner <mattst88@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Should we target package versions that aren't stabilized on other
> architectures yet, so that we'll have an extended testing period
> before they'll come up for stabilization? That is, can I plan to make
> gcc-4.5.1 or something the first restabilized version of gcc, go ahead
> and begin testing it, and be ready for stabilization when toolchain
> requests it?

I'd work on getting it ~mips before you think about stabilizing. Last
report I got it doesn't build.

What's your target hardware for stabilization? Are we still focusing on SGI
stuff or moving on to newer platforms?

--
fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime

Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Matt Turner

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:00:00 -0500
> Matt Turner <mattst88@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Should we target package versions that aren't stabilized on other
>> architectures yet, so that we'll have an extended testing period
>> before they'll come up for stabilization? That is, can I plan to make
>> gcc-4.5.1 or something the first restabilized version of gcc, go ahead
>> and begin testing it, and be ready for stabilization when toolchain
>> requests it?
>
> I'd work on getting it ~mips before you think about stabilizing. *Last
> report I got it doesn't build.

I've been using gcc-4.5.1 for the last two weeks or so.

Should I add a ~mips keyword?

> What's your target hardware for stabilization? *Are we still focusing on SGI
> stuff or moving on to newer platforms?

SGI stuff is going to become less and less interesting, but it's still
the most common MIPS hardware Gentoo users have [1].
STMicroelectronics MIPS systems (Lemote, Gdium, etc) are becoming more
common, and we should definitely do a better job supporting them. (I
should mention that I've been loaned a Yeelong by Daniel Clark, of
freedomincluded.com, to fix up the siliconmotion driver.)

I think we can reasonably support both. The Broadcom board I have can
with the switch of a jumper operate in big or little-endian mode, so I
can use it for both.

Matt

[1] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-mips/msg_65e25b7dae79f7b897ed59199919a2a2.xml

Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Stuart Longland

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 08:37:51PM -0500, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:00:00 -0500
> > Matt Turner <mattst88@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Should we target package versions that aren't stabilized on other
> >> architectures yet, so that we'll have an extended testing period
> >> before they'll come up for stabilization? That is, can I plan to make
> >> gcc-4.5.1 or something the first restabilized version of gcc, go ahead
> >> and begin testing it, and be ready for stabilization when toolchain
> >> requests it?
> >
> > I'd work on getting it ~mips before you think about stabilizing. *Last
> > report I got it doesn't build.
>
> I've been using gcc-4.5.1 for the last two weeks or so.
>
> Should I add a ~mips keyword?

I'll probably be looking at it for the next release then. I fully
intend to do a rebuild of the o32 stages when binutils-2.21 hits
Gentoo's tree as it fixes a few MIPS issues.

> > What's your target hardware for stabilization? *Are we still focusing on SGI
> > stuff or moving on to newer platforms?
>
> SGI stuff is going to become less and less interesting, but it's still
> the most common MIPS hardware Gentoo users have [1].

One thing to factor in is the availability of parts for these systems.
As the systems break down, we can expect that market to reduce in size.

That said, there's more than just SGI systems on the big-endian side.

> STMicroelectronics MIPS systems (Lemote, Gdium, etc) are becoming more
> common, and we should definitely do a better job supporting them. (I
> should mention that I've been loaned a Yeelong by Daniel Clark, of
> freedomincluded.com, to fix up the siliconmotion driver.)

Interesting... I've found Zhang Le's overlay includes a quite workable
siliconmotion driver which runs fine on my Yeeloong.

The only catch is that one must compile it with -march=loongson2f in
CFLAGS... -mips3 (my preference) won't do.

Out of interest... did you get around to those n32 stages at all? I'd
like to get some of my old SGI kit up and going, some of them will need
a complete reinstall... so I may as well do that using n32 from the
outset.

My O2 can remain o32 for now since it was the one still standing after
all this time. The others, the userland is broken/stale to the point of
uselessness.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:04 AM
Matt Turner

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Stuart Longland <redhatter@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> STMicroelectronics MIPS systems (Lemote, Gdium, etc) are becoming more
>> common, and we should definitely do a better job supporting them. (I
>> should mention that I've been loaned a Yeelong by Daniel Clark, of
>> freedomincluded.com, to fix up the siliconmotion driver.)
>
> Interesting... I've found Zhang Le's overlay includes a quite workable
> siliconmotion driver which runs fine on my Yeeloong.
>
> The only catch is that one must compile it with -march=loongson2f in
> CFLAGS... -mips3 (my preference) won't do.

The main purpose of my project here is to write a kernel modesetting
driver. Apparently lots of FSF fanatics use Yeelongs entirely from the
terminal, so the potential for faster console scrolling speed is
somewhat appealing to them.

> Out of interest... did you get around to those n32 stages at all? *I'd
> like to get some of my old SGI kit up and going, some of them will need
> a complete reinstall... so I may as well do that using n32 from the
> outset.
>
> My O2 can remain o32 for now since it was the one still standing after
> all this time. *The others, the userland is broken/stale to the point of
> uselessness.

I tried again last week to make n32 stages, but have had a terrible
time with catalyst.

The main problem I run into is that I can't get catalyst to
acknowledge any package.keywords files (which as I understand might be
by design), so I'm unable to put together a stage from the versions
I'd like to stabilize. Are your recent o32 stages straight-up ~mips?
Can you post your spec files somewhere?

Matt

Old 11-12-2010, 02:34 AM
Ryan Hill

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:37:51 -0500
Matt Turner <mattst88@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 18:00:00 -0500
> > Matt Turner <mattst88@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Should we target package versions that aren't stabilized on other
> >> architectures yet, so that we'll have an extended testing period
> >> before they'll come up for stabilization? That is, can I plan to make
> >> gcc-4.5.1 or something the first restabilized version of gcc, go ahead
> >> and begin testing it, and be ready for stabilization when toolchain
> >> requests it?
> >
> > I'd work on getting it ~mips before you think about stabilizing. *Last
> > report I got it doesn't build.
>
> I've been using gcc-4.5.1 for the last two weeks or so.
>
> Should I add a ~mips keyword?

Kumba told me about some weird behavior he saw where the stage 2 and 3
comparison failed and the build restarted from scratch again and got into an
endless loop. Maybe a hardware problem?

If you want to keyword 4.5.1 then you'll need to keyword dev-libs/mpc (bug
#279851) and either keyword dev-libs/cloog-ppl or mask the graphite USE flag
in your profiles (bug #269088).

Old 11-12-2010, 03:07 AM
Zhang Le

On 22:04 Thu 11 Nov , Matt Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Stuart Longland <redhatter@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> STMicroelectronics MIPS systems (Lemote, Gdium, etc) are becoming more
> >> common, and we should definitely do a better job supporting them. (I
> >> should mention that I've been loaned a Yeelong by Daniel Clark, of
> >> freedomincluded.com, to fix up the siliconmotion driver.)
> >
> > Interesting... I've found Zhang Le's overlay includes a quite workable
> > siliconmotion driver which runs fine on my Yeeloong.
> >
> > The only catch is that one must compile it with -march=loongson2f in
> > CFLAGS... -mips3 (my preference) won't do.
>
> The main purpose of my project here is to write a kernel modesetting
> driver. Apparently lots of FSF fanatics use Yeelongs entirely from the
> terminal, so the potential for faster console scrolling speed is
> somewhat appealing to them.

KMS! cool!
I don't have much experience on that. But if there is anything I can do, I'd
love to help.

> > Out of interest... did you get around to those n32 stages at all? *I'd
> > like to get some of my old SGI kit up and going, some of them will need
> > a complete reinstall... so I may as well do that using n32 from the
> > outset.
> >
> > My O2 can remain o32 for now since it was the one still standing after
> > all this time. *The others, the userland is broken/stale to the point of
> > uselessness.
>
> I tried again last week to make n32 stages, but have had a terrible
> time with catalyst.
>
> The main problem I run into is that I can't get catalyst to
> acknowledge any package.keywords files (which as I understand might be
> by design), so I'm unable to put together a stage from the versions
> I'd like to stabilize. Are your recent o32 stages straight-up ~mips?
> Can you post your spec files somewhere?

My way was to keyword those ebuilds and put them in my overlay. Not decent, but
works. -_-

--
Zhang, Le
Gentoo/Loongson Developer